On the Borda-Kendall Consensus Method for Priority Ranking Problems
AbstractThis paper investigates the Borda-Kendall method for the determination of a consensus ranking. It is shown that in the case of ties the method does not perform as claimed. A "minimum variance" method for determining the consensus ranking is proposed and its properties examined. It is shown to be equivalent to the Borda-Kendall method if ties are not allowed. An algorithm to determine the "minimum variance" consensus ranking in the case of ties is described. Results obtained from the solution of problems of various sizes are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 28 (1982)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
utility/preference: theory; utility/preference: scaling; integer programming: applications;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michel Truchon, 2005. "Aggregation of Rankings: a Brief Review of Distance-Based Rules," Cahiers de recherche 0534, CIRPEE.
- Cook, Wade D. & Kress, Moshe & Seiford, Lawrence M., 1997. "A general framework for distance-based consensus in ordinal ranking models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 392-397, January.
- Jorge Alcalde-Unzu & Marc Vorsatz, 2008. "The Measurement of Consensus: An Axiomatic Analysis," Working Papers 2008-28, FEDEA.
- Rodríguez Alcantud, José Carlos & de Andrés Calle, Rocío & González-Arteaga, Teresa, 2013. "Codifications of complete preorders that are compatible with Mahalanobis disconsensus measures," MPRA Paper 50533, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- András Farkas, 2011. "Budapest Bridges Benchmarking," Proceedings- 9th International Conference on Mangement, Enterprise and Benchmarking (MEB 2011), Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management.
- Hanna Bury & Dariusz Wagner, 2009. "Group judgement with ties. A position-based approach," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 4, pages 9-26.
- András Farkas, 2013. "The Depiction of Advertising Industry in Novels and Their Incorporation in Education," Proceedings- 11th International Conference on Mangement, Enterprise and Benchmarking (MEB 2013), Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.