Aggregate Safety Stock Levels and Component Part Commonality
AbstractThe relationship between aggregate safety stock inventory levels and component part commonality is developed. A simulation experiment strongly supports the functional form of this relationship in an uncertain operating environment. Managers can use these equations to assess the trade-offs between aggregate safety stock levels, service level and the degree of component part standardization. For example, these relationships can be used to predict service, inventory level and cost standards for any change in component part commonality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 28 (1982)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
inventory/production: operating characteristics; inventory/production: simulation; material requirements planning;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohebbi, E. & Choobineh, F., 2005. "The impact of component commonality in an assemble-to-order environment under supply and demand uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 472-482, December.
- Persona, Alessandro & Battini, Daria & Manzini, Riccardo & Pareschi, Arrigo, 2007. "Optimal safety stock levels of subassemblies and manufacturing components," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1-2), pages 147-159, October.
- Hsieh, Ying-Jiun, 2011. "Demand switching criteria for multiple products: An inventory cost analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 130-137, April.
- Droge, Cornelia & Vickery, Shawnee K. & Jacobs, Mark A., 2012. "Does supply chain integration mediate the relationships between product/process strategy and service performance? An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 250-262.
- Hillier, Mark S., 2002. "Using commonality as backup safety stock," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 353-365, January.
- Mohebbi, E. & Choobineh, F. & Pattanayak, A., 2007. "Capacity-driven vs. demand-driven material procurement systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 451-466, June.
- Zhou, Li & Grubbstrom, R.W.Robert W., 2004. "Analysis of the effect of commonality in multi-level inventory systems applying MRP theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 251-263, July.
- Kevin Weng, Z., 1999. "Risk-pooling over demand uncertainty in the presence of product modularity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 75-85, May.
- Betts, John M. & Johnston, Robert B., 2005. "Just-in-time component replenishment decisions for assemble-to-order manufacturing under capital constraint and stochastic demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 51-70, January.
- Nils Boysen & Armin Scholl, 2009.
"A General Solution Framework for Component-Commonality Problems,"
BuR - Business Research,
German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 2(1), pages 86-106, May.
- Nils Boysen & Armin Scholl, 2008. "A general solution framework for component commonality problems," Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers 12/2008, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Thyssen, Jesper & Israelsen, Poul & Jørgensen, Brian, 2005. "Activity Based Costing as a method for assessing the economics of modularization - a case study and beyond," Management Accounting Research Group Working Papers M-2005-04, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Zhang, Xinyan & Huang, George Q., 2010. "Game-theoretic approach to simultaneous configuration of platform products and supply chains with one manufacturing firm and multiple cooperative suppliers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 121-136, March.
- Ma, Shihua & Wang, Wei & Liu, Liming, 2002. "Commonality and postponement in multistage assembly systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(3), pages 523-538, November.
- Israelsen, Poul & Jørgensen, Brian, 2011. "Decentralizing decision making in modularization strategies: Overcoming barriers from dysfunctional accounting systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 453-462, June.
- Ho, C. -J. & Li, J., 1997. "Progressive engineering changes in multi-level product structures," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 585-594, October.
- Brun, Alessandro & Capra, Eugenio & Miragliotta, Giovanni, 2009. "VRP revisited: The impact of behavioural costs in balancing standardisation and variety," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 16-29, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.