Combining Expert Judgments: A Bayesian Approach
AbstractThis paper presents a new approach to the problem of expert resolution. The proposed analytic structure provides a mechanism by which a decision maker can incorporate the possibly conflicting probability assessments of a group of experts. The approach is based upon the Bayesian inferential framework presented in [Morris, P. A. 1974. Decision analysis expert use. Management Sci. 20 (9, May)]. A number of specific results are derived from analysis of a generic model structure. In the single expert continuous variable case, we prove that the decision maker should process a calibrated expert's opinion by multiplying the expert's probability assessment by his own prior probability assessment and normalizing. A method for subjectively calibrating an expert is also presented. In the multi-expert case, we obtain a simple multiplicative rule for combining the expert judgments. We also prove the existence of a composite probability function which measures the joint information contained in the probability assessments generated by a panel of experts. The interesting result is that composite prior should be processed as if it were the probability statement of a single calibrated expert.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 23 (1977)
Issue (Month): 7 (March)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2013.
"Decisions with conflicting and imprecise information,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 427-452, July.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2009. "Decisions with conflicting and imprecise information," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 27005, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Garratt, Anthony & Mise, Emi, 2014. "Forecasting exchange rates using panel model and model averaging," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 32-40.
- Wolden Bache, Ida & Sofie Jore, Anne & Mitchell, James & Vahey, Shaun P., 2011.
"Combining VAR and DSGE forecast densities,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1659-1670, October.
- Usher, Will & Strachan, Neil, 2013. "An expert elicitation of climate, energy and economic uncertainties," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 811-821.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009.
"Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0909, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Garratt, Anthony & Mitchell, James & Vahey, Shaun, 2010. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009. "Measuring output gap uncertainty," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/15, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Irene Valsecchi, 2013. "The expert problem: a survey," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 303-331, November.
- Victor Zarnowitz & Louis A. Lambros, 1983. "Consensus and Uncertainty in Economic Prediction," NBER Working Papers 1171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Sofie Jore & James Mitchell & Shaun Vahey, 2008.
"Combining Forecast Densities from VARs with Uncertain Instabilities,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2008/18, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Anne Sofie Jore & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2010. "Combining forecast densities from VARs with uncertain instabilities," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 621-634.
- Anne-Sofie Jore & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2008. "Combining forecast densities from VARs with uncertain instabilities," Working Paper 2008/01, Norges Bank.
- Kangaspunta, Jussi & Liesiö, Juuso & Salo, Ahti, 2012. "Cost-efficiency analysis of weapon system portfolios," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(1), pages 264-275.
- Hall, Stephen G. & Mitchell, James, 2007. "Combining density forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-13.
- Wang, W., 1997. "Subjective estimation of the delay time distribution in maintenance modelling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 516-529, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.