Combining Expert Judgments: A Bayesian Approach
AbstractThis paper presents a new approach to the problem of expert resolution. The proposed analytic structure provides a mechanism by which a decision maker can incorporate the possibly conflicting probability assessments of a group of experts. The approach is based upon the Bayesian inferential framework presented in [Morris, P. A. 1974. Decision analysis expert use. Management Sci. 20 (9, May)]. A number of specific results are derived from analysis of a generic model structure. In the single expert continuous variable case, we prove that the decision maker should process a calibrated expert's opinion by multiplying the expert's probability assessment by his own prior probability assessment and normalizing. A method for subjectively calibrating an expert is also presented. In the multi-expert case, we obtain a simple multiplicative rule for combining the expert judgments. We also prove the existence of a composite probability function which measures the joint information contained in the probability assessments generated by a panel of experts. The interesting result is that composite prior should be processed as if it were the probability statement of a single calibrated expert.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 23 (1977)
Issue (Month): 7 (March)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Victor Zarnowitz & Louis A. Lambros, 1987. "Consensus and Uncertainty in Economic Prediction," NBER Working Papers 1171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, W., 1997. "Subjective estimation of the delay time distribution in maintenance modelling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 516-529, June.
- Hall, Stephen G. & Mitchell, James, 2007. "Combining density forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-13.
- Kangaspunta, Jussi & Liesiö, Juuso & Salo, Ahti, 2012. "Cost-efficiency analysis of weapon system portfolios," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(1), pages 264-275.
- Ida Wolden Bache & Anne Sofie Jore & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009.
"Combining VAR and DSGE forecast densities,"
2009/23, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.