A Program for Research on Management Information Systems
AbstractAn information system consists of, at least, a PERSON of a certain PSYCHOLOGICAL TYPE who faces a PROBLEM within some ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT for which he needs EVIDENCE to arrive at a solution, where the evidence is made available through some MODE OF PRESENTATION. This defines the key variables comprising a Management Information System (MIS). It is argued that most research and development to date on MIS has assumed only one underlying psychological type, one class of problem types, one or two methods of generating evidence, and, finally, one mode of presentation. Other states are suggested for all these key variables. The result is the outline of a systematic research program on MIS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 19 (1973)
Issue (Month): 5 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Takeda, Hirotoshi & Cuellar, Michael & Vidgen, Richard & Truex, Duane, 2011. "Networks of innovation in IS research: an exploration of the relationship between co-authorship networks and H-family indices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/8792, Paris Dauphine University.
- Carine Luangsay-Catelin & Rajaa Roybier, 2012. "Influence des technologies de l’information sur la performance d’une organisation publique - Influence of Information technologies on public organization performance," Working Papers FARGO 1120701, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Blonk, H. van der, 1996. "Rethinking the concept of information systems," Serie Research Memoranda 0020, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Montazemi, A. R. & Gupta, K. M., 1997. "On the effectiveness of cognitive feedback from an interface agent," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 643-658, December.
- Eom, Sean B., 1998. "Relationships between the decision support system subspecialities and reference disciplines: An empirical investigation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 31-45, January.
- Mauldin, Elaine G. & Ruchala, Linda V., 1999. "Towards a meta-theory of accounting information systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 317-331, May.
- Denis Travaillé & Christine Marsal, 2007. "Automatisation des tableaux de bord et cohérence du contrôle de gestion:à propos de deux cas," Working Papers FARGO 1070602, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Bernard Fallery, 2001. "Nouvelles technologies et travail du dirigeant," Post-Print hal-00777741, HAL.
- Norese, Maria Franca, 1995. "MACRAME: A problem formulation and model structuring assistant in multiactorial contexts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 25-34, July.
- Berthon, Pierre R. & Pitt, Leyland F. & Morris, Michael H., 1998. "The Impact of Individual and Organizational Factors on Problem Perception: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the Marketing-Technical Dyad," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 25-38, May.
- Denis Travaillé & Christine Marsal, 2007. "Automatisation des tableaux de bord et cohérence des comportements," Post-Print halshs-00534794, HAL.
- Denis Travaillé & Christine Marsal, 2007. "Automation of dashboards and the coherence of organizations: paradoxes and ambiguities based on two particular case studies," Working Papers FARGO 1070601, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Lazhar El Orf & Eric Tort, 2006. "Une synthèse des travaux sur les systèmes d'information comptables en France : état des lieux et pistes de recherche," Post-Print halshs-00548123, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.