The Determination of Partial Moments
AbstractIn statistical decision theory, computations often involve the partial moments of a random variable. Several methods for determining partial moments are discussed, including direct calculation, the use of general formulas which apply to entire families of distributions, and the use of partial moment generating functions. Using these methods, formulas (some involving recursive relationships) are developed for the partial moments of a number of frequently encountered distributions and compared with the corresponding formulas for complete moments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 19 (1972)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hing-Ling Lau, Amy & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Willett, Keith D., 2000. "Demand uncertainty and returns policies for a seasonal product: An alternative model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 1-12, June.
- Chen, Liang-Hsuan & Chen, Ying-Che, 2010. "A multiple-item budget-constraint newsboy problem with a reservation policy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 431-439, December.
- Hing-Ling Lau, Amy & Lau, Hon-Shiang, 2001. "Some two-echelon style-goods inventory models with asymmetric market information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 29-42, October.
- Dus, Ivica & Maurer, Raimond H. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2004.
"Betting on death and capital markets in retirement: A shortfall risk analysis of life annuities versus phased withdrawal plans,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2004/01, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ivica Dus & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2003. "Betting on Death and Capital Markets in Retirement: A Shortfall Risk Analysis of Life Annuities versus Phased Withdrawal Plans," Working Papers wp063, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Horowitz, I. & Thompson, P., 1995. "The sophisticated decision maker: All work and no pay?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Lau, Hon-Shiang & Lau, Amy Hing-Ling, 1997. "Reordering strategies for a newsboy-type product," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 557-572, December.
- Eling, Martin & Gatzert, Nadine & Schmeiser, Hato, 2009. "Minimum standards for investment performance: A new perspective on non-life insurer solvency," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 113-122, August.
- Hing-Ling Lau, Amy & Lau, Hon-Shiang, 1998. "Decision models for single-period products with two ordering opportunities," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 57-70, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.