Optimal Maintenance Policy and Sale Date of a Machine
AbstractA machine is to be bought, used for productive purposes for a length of time, and then sold. It is possible to do preventive maintenance while the machine is being used, if desired, in order to slow down the degradation of the machine's capability. The value of owning the machine is the sum of the discounted value of its production while it is owned plus its discounted value when sold. In this paper a modification of a model due to B. Naslund for the problem is discussed. Using Pontryagin's maximum principle, the problem is treated as one of optimal control with the control variables being the use or nonuse of preventive maintenance and the selection of the sale date. It is shown that the optimal maintenance policy is bang-bang, and methods for finding the optimal sale date are determined. Simply examples show the various kinds of solutions that can be obtained with varying assumptions concerning the actual functions used in the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 14 (1968)
Issue (Month): 9 (May)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mason, Robin, 1997.
"Dividends, Safety and Liquidation when Liabilities are Long-term and Stochastic,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9731, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Mason, Robin, 2004. "Dividends, safety and liquidation when liabilities are long-term and stochastic," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1179-1210, December.
- George C. Bitros & Elias Flytzanis, 2003. "A Rehabilitation of Economic Replacement Theory," Macroeconomics 0303009, EconWPA.
- George Bitros & Elias Flytzanis, 2004. "Utilization and Maintenance in a Model with Terminal Scrapping," Macroeconomics 0411016, EconWPA.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp182008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcel Savioz, 1990. "Investment and Maintenance in the Aviation Industry," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 126(I), pages 17-38, March.
- Bitros, George C., 2009. "The Theorem of Proportionality in Mainstream Capital Theory: An Assessment of its Conceptual Foundations," MPRA Paper 17436, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Bitros, 2010. "The theorem of proportionality in contemporary capital theory: An assessment of its conceptual foundations," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 367-401, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.