A Probabilistic Model For Testing Hypothesized Hierarchical Market Structures
AbstractIn this paper a methodology for hierarchical market structure analysis is derived and illustrated. A probabilistic model is developed which provides a general, flexible framework which can be used to test hypothesized hierarchical market structures. Because the general probabilistic model can be translated in terms of a it can be easily implemented. Among its other benefits, the proposed methodology, utilizing panel data, tracks households over a number of switches, furnishes explicit statistical tests for alternative hypothesized tree structures, as well as individual parameters, and can potentially identify clusters of households who structure the market in similar ways.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 4 (1985)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
hierarchical market structures; latent class models;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kannan, P. K. & Yim, Chi Kin (Bennett), 2001. "An investigation of the impact of promotions on across-submarket competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 137-149, September.
- Andrews, Rick L. & Manrai, Ajay K., 1998. "Feature-based elimination: Model and empirical comparison," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 248-267, December.
- Nobuhiko Terui & Masataka Ban & Toshihiko Maki, 2010. "Finding market structure by sales count dynamics—Multivariate structural time series models with hierarchical structure for count data—," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 62(1), pages 91-107, February.
- Sri Duvvuri & Thomas Gruca, 2010. "A Bayesian Multi-Level Factor Analytic Model of Consumer Price Sensitivities Across Categories," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 75(3), pages 558-578, September.
- Park, Sehoon & Jain, Dipak & Krishnamurthi, Lakshman, 1998. "A hierarchical elimination modeling approach for market structure analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 328-350, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.