Models and Heuristics for Product Line Selection
AbstractRecently, a number of articles have appeared in the marketing literature dealing with (single) product design optimization. The present paper represents a start toward extending this research to product line decisions. We first formulate two versions of the problem and describe their various characteristics. Since finding the optimum solution is computationally prohibitive, even for modest size problems, various heuristic approaches are presented and evaluated. Applications involving synthetic and real data are discussed. The paper concludes with comments on related problems and future application areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 4 (1985)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
product; optimization; heuristics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Day, Jamison M. & Venkataramanan, M.A., 2006. "Profitability in product line pricing and composition with manufacturing commonalities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(3), pages 1782-1797, December.
- Wilhelm, Wilbert E. & Xu, Kaihong, 2002. "Prescribing product upgrades, prices and production levels over time in a stochastic environment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(3), pages 601-621, May.
- Brabazon, Philip G & MacCarthy, Bart, 2012. "Investigating a long tail in retail vehicle sales," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 302-313.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Kraus, Ursula G. & Yano, Candace Arai, 2003. "Product line selection and pricing under a share-of-surplus choice model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 653-671, November.
- Burkart, Wolfgang R. & Klein, Robert & Mayer, Stefan, 2012. "Product line pricing for services with capacity constraints and dynamic substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 347-359.
- Albritton, M. David & McMullen, Patrick R., 2007. "Optimal product design using a colony of virtual ants," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 498-520, January.
- Baier, Daniel & Gaul, Wolfgang, 1998. "Optimal product positioning based on paired comparison data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 365-392, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.