Intertemporal Movie Distribution: Versioning When Customers Can Buy Both Versions
AbstractWe study a model of film distribution and consumption. The studio can release two goods, a theatrical version and a video version, and has to decide on its versioning and sequencing strategy. In contrast with the previous literature, we allow for the possibility that some consumers may watch both versions. This simple extension leads to novel results. It now becomes optimal to introduce versioning if the goods are not too substitute for one another, even when production costs are zero (pure information goods). We also demonstrate that the simultaneous release of the versions ("day-and-date" strategy) can be optimal when the studio is integrated with the exhibition and distribution channels. In contrast, a sequential release ("video window" strategy) is typically the outcome when the studio negotiates with independent distributors and exhibitors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 31 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
product segmentation; versioning; sequencing; distribution channels; movie industry; information goods;
Other versions of this item:
- Calzada, Joan & Valletti, Tommaso, 2011. "Intertemporal movie distribution: Versioning when customers can buy both versions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8279, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joan Calzada & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2011. "Intertemporal Movie Distribution: Versioning when customers can buy both versions," CEIS Research Paper 198, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 20 Jun 2011.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Krishnan & Karl T. Ulrich, 2001. "Product Development Decisions: A Review of the Literature," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Kenneth S. Corts, 2001. "The Strategic Effects of Vertical Market Structure: Common Agency and Divisionalization in the US Motion Picture Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 509-528, December.
- Prasad Ashutosh & Bronnenberg Bart & Mahajan Vijay, 2004. "Product Entry Timing in Dual Distribution Channels: The Case of the Movie Industry," Review of Marketing Science, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Arun Sundararajan, 2003. "Managing Digital Piracy: Pricing, Protection and Welfare," Law and Economics 0307001, EconWPA.
- Daniel A. Levinthal & Devavrat Purohit, 1989. "Durable Goods and Product Obsolescence," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(1), pages 35-56.
- Barak Orbach, .
"Antitrust and Pricing in the Motion Picture Industry,"
University of Michigan John M. Olin Center for Law & Economics Working Paper Series
umichlwps-1009, University of Michigan John M. Olin Center for Law & Economics.
- Barak Orbach, . "Antitrust and Pricing in the Motion Picture Industry," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1051, American Law & Economics Association.
- Arthur De Vany & W. Walls, 1999. "Uncertainty in the Movie Industry: Does Star Power Reduce the Terror of the Box Office?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 285-318, November.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & WAUTHY, Xavier Y., 2001.
"The option of joint purchase in vertically differentiated markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Xavier Y. Wauthy, 2003. "The option of joint purchase in vertically differentiated markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 817-829, November.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & WAUTHY, Xavier Y., . "The option of joint purchase in vertically differentiated markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1667, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salant, Stephen W, 1989. "When Is Inducing Self-selection Suboptimal for a Monopolist?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 391-97, May.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-71, August.
- Sumit Raut & Sanjeev Swami & Eunkyu Lee & Charles B. Weinberg, 2008. "How Complex Do Movie Channel Contracts Need to Be?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 627-641, 07-08.
- Julie Holland Mortimer, 2007.
"Price Discrimination, Copyright Law, and Technological Innovation: Evidence From The Introduction of DVDs,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 1307-1350, 08.
- Mortimer, Julie Holland, 2007. "Price Discrimination, Copyright Law, and Technological Innovation: Evidence From The Introduction of DVDs," Scholarly Articles 3425914, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Julie Holland Mortimer, 2005. "Price Discrimination, Copyright Law, and Technological Innovation: Evidence from the Introduction of DVDs," NBER Working Papers 11676, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Hemant K. Bhargava & Vidyanand Choudhary, 2008. "Research Note--When Is Versioning Optimal for Information Goods?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(5), pages 1029-1035, May.
- Ricard Gil & Wesley R. Hartmann, 2009. "Empirical Analysis of Metering Price Discrimination: Evidence from Concession Sales at Movie Theaters," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(6), pages 1046-1062, 11-12.
- Eric T. Anderson & James D. Dana, Jr., 2009. "When Is Price Discrimination Profitable?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(6), pages 980-989, June.
- Varian, Hal R, 2000. "Buying, Sharing and Renting Information Goods," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 473-88, December.
- Randy Nelson & Clifford Reid & Owen Gilmore, 2007. "An Analysis of the Out-of-Market Gap for DVDs in the U.S," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 303-323, June.
- Sanjeev Swami & Jehoshua Eliashberg & Charles B. Weinberg, 1999. "SilverScreener: A Modeling Approach to Movie Screens Management," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 352-372.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- Gil, Ricard, 2007. ""Make-or-buy" in movies: Integration and ex-post renegotiation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 643-655, August.
- Ricard Gil, 2009. "Revenue Sharing Distortions and Vertical Integration in the Movie Industry," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 579-610, October.
- Prasad, A. & Bronnenberg, B.J.J.A.M. & Mahajan, V., 2004. "Product entry timing in dual distribution channels: The case of the movie industry," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-332477, Tilburg University.
- Dana, James D, Jr & Spier, Kathryn E, 2001. "Revenue Sharing and Vertical Control in the Video Rental Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 223-45, September.
- Joan Calzada & Guillem Ordóñez, 2012. "Competition in the news industry: fighting aggregators with versions and links," Working Papers 12-22, NET Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.