How Promotions Work
AbstractBy synthesizing findings across the sales promotion literature, this article helps the reader understand how promotions work. We identify and explain empirical generalizations related to sales promotion; that is, effects that have been found consistently in multiple studies involving different researchers. We also identify issues which have generated conflicting findings in the research, as well as important sales promotion topics that have not yet been studied. This overview of the research and findings from the sales promotion literature is intended to offer direction for future research in the area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 14 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3_supplement ()
sales promotion; retailer promotions; trade promotion; empirical generalizations;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hendel, Igal & Nevo, Aviv, 2001.
"Sales and Consumer Inventory,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt11x3d68b, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Iga Hendel and Aviv Nevo., 2001. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," Economics Working Papers E01-307, University of California at Berkeley.
- Iga Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2002. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," Microeconomics 0201001, EconWPA.
- Hendel, Igal & Nevo, Aviv, 2001. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt0p18h2d8, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2002. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," NBER Working Papers 9048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrews, Melinda L. & Benedicktus, Ray L. & Brady, Michael K., 2010. "The effect of incentives on customer evaluations of service bundles," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 71-76, January.
- Dekimpe, M.G. & Hanssens, D.M. & Nijs, V.R. & Steenkamp, J-B.E.M., 2003. "Measuring Short- and Long-run Promotional Effectiveness on Scanner Data Using Persistence Modeling," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-087-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Carmen Lee & Roman Kraeussl & André Lucas & Leonard J. Paas, 2008. "A Dynamic Model of Investor Decision-Making: How Adaptation to Losses affects Future Selling Decisions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-112/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 02 Sep 2013.
- Pauline De Pechpeyrou & Béatrice Parguel & Aîda Mimouni & Pierre Desmet, 2006. "Perceived value and trustworthiness of a multi- promotion offer," Post-Print halshs-00146652, HAL.
- Matilda Dorotic & Dennis Fok & Peter Verhoef & Tammo Bijmolt, 2011. "Do vendors benefit from promotions in a multi-vendor loyalty program?," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 341-356, November.
- Pauline De Pechpeyrou & Béatrice Parguel & Aîda Mimouni & Pierre Desmet, 2006. "Valeur et sincérité perçues d'une promotion multi-mécanismes," Post-Print halshs-00146620, HAL.
- Berck, Peter & Brown, Jennifer & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Villas-Boas, Sofia Berto, 2008.
"Sales: Tests of theories on causality and timing,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1257-1273, November.
- Berck, Peter & Brown, Jennifer & Perloff, Jeffrey M & Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2007. "Sales: Tests of Theories on Causality and Timing," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt2g56n1jk, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Berck, Peter & Brown, Jennifer & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2007. "Sales : tests of theories on causality and timing," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1031, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Lee, Carmen & Kräussl, Roman & Lucas, André & Paas, Leo, 2010. "Why do investors sell losers? How adaptation to losses affects future capitulation decisions," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Richard Volpe, 2013. "Promotional Competition Between Supermarket Chains," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 45-61, February.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kloek, Teun & Lucas, Andre, 1998. "Outlier robust analysis of long-run marketing effects for weekly scanning data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 293-315, November.
- Fok, D. & Horváth, C. & Paap, R. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2004. "A hierarchical Bayes error correction model to explain dynamic effects," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2004-27, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Bernard, Daria J. & Mathios, Alan D., 2005. "Factors Affecting Consumer Choice and Willingness to Pay for Milk Attributes," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19366, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pauline De Pechpeyrou & Béatrice Parguel & Aîda Mimouni & Pierre Desmet, 2006. "Valeur et sincérité perçues d'une promotion multi-mécanismes," Post-Print halshs-00145916, HAL.
- Hruschka, Harald, 2002. "Market share analysis using semi-parametric attraction models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 212-225, April.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2011. "Marketing-driven channel coordination with revenue-sharing contracts under price promotion to end-customers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(2), pages 246-255, October.
- Jason C. Patalinghug, 2013. "The Effect of Advertising and In-Store Promotion on the Demand for Chocolate," Working Papers 21, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Horváth, C. & Fok, D., 2008. "Moderating Factors of Immediate, Dynamic, and Long-run Cross-Price Effects," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-042-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.