Competition to Retain Customers
AbstractThis paper contains theoretical and empirical analysis of competition to retain customers. A formal game-theoretic model suggests that large firms are likely to exhibit greater customer retention rates than their smaller rivals in equilibrium even when their (common) customer retention technology does not exhibit increasing returns to scale. This hypothesis is corroborated by an empirical analysis of competition in ordinary life insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 13 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
competitive strategy; defensive strategy; buyer behavior;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gergely Biczók & Sándor Kardos & Tuan Trinh, 2010. "Pricing Internet access in the presence of user loyalty," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 119-147, July.
- Villanueva, Julian & Bhardwaj, Pradeep & Chen, Yuxin & Balasubramanian, Sridhar, 2004. "Managing customer relationships: Should managers really focus on the long term?," IESE Research Papers D/560, IESE Business School.
- Lu, Jye-Chyi & Tsao, Yu-Chung & Charoensiriwath, Chayakrit, 2011. "Competition under manufacturer service and retail price," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1256-1264, May.
- Chen, Yuxin & Zhang, Z. John, 2009. "Dynamic targeted pricing with strategic consumers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 43-50, January.
- Il-Horn Hann & Kai-Lung Hui & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Ivan P.L. Png, 2005. "Sales and Promotions: A More General Model," Industrial Organization 0508014, EconWPA.
- Il-Horn Hann & Kai-Lung Hui & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Ivan Png, 2005. "Consumer Privacy and Marketing Avoidance," Industrial Organization 0503009, EconWPA.
- Julian Villanueva & Pradeep Bhardwaj & Sridhar Balasubramanian & Yuxin Chen, 2007. "Customer relationship management in competitive environments: The positive implications of a short-term focus," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 99-129, June.
- Li, Chu-Shiu & Lin, Chih Hao & Liu, Chwen-Chi & Woodside, Arch G., 2012. "Dynamic pricing in regulated automobile insurance markets with heterogeneous insurers: Strategies nice versus nasty for customers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 968-976.
- Bing Jing, 2007. "Product differentiation under imperfect information: When does offering a lower quality pay?," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 35-61, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.