Some challenging (macro)economic aspects of FDI in Romania
AbstractThe research intends to analyse a series of FDI effects on Romania from the viewpoint of structure, volume and dynamics by types, sectors and branches, development regions and origin countries, as well as the impact on the expatriated and reinvested earnings, trade balance, and profitability of economic agents with FDI, transfer prices, and competitiveness of exports.The outcome of the research highlights the overall negative trade balance of enterprises with FDI between the years 2007-2010, the relation between reinvested and expatriated profit, and the unfavourable impact of some energy traders on competitiveness. The importance of foreign investments in industry is highlighted, especially in the manufacturing industry and the unsatisfactory structure of FDI, which in Romania aims at the medium- and low-tech level branches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute of National Economy in its journal Romanian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2(42) (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 318.24.67
Fax: 004 021 318.24.67
Web page: http://www.ien.ro/
More information through EDIRC
FDI; repatriated earnings; trade balance; state-owned transnational corporations; transfer prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pelinescu, Elena & Radulescu, Magdalena, 2009. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on the Economic Growth and Countries’ Export Potential," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 153-169, December.
- Durham, J.B.J. Benson, 2004. "Absorptive capacity and the effects of foreign direct investment and equity foreign portfolio investment on economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, April.
- Gheorghe Zaman, 2006. "Aspecte ale eficientei macroeconomice a investitiilor straine directe in Romania," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 4(4(499)(su), pages 65-88, June.
- Pauna, Carmen Beatrice, 2005. "The Influence Of Regional Disparities Of Romania On Attracting Foreign Direct Investments," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 2(1), pages 35-47.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gheorghe ZAMAN, 2006. "Some Macroaspects Of Fdi In Romania," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 22(1(31)), pages 9-27, June.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ali M Kutan & Goran Vukšić, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Export Performance: Empirical Evidence," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 430-445, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentina Vasile).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.