Money Demand near Zero Interest Rate: Evidence from Regional Data
AbstractUsing Japanese regional data, we have obtained estimates of the income elasticity of demand deposits that are positive, have values that are close to one, and are statistically significantly different from zero, not only during the period of the low interest rate policy implemented after 1995 but also during the period of the "zero interest rate policy." The stable relationship obtained from regional data could provide useful information by which to judge the stability of the money demand function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan in its journal Monetary and Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fischer, Andreas M., 2007.
"Measuring income elasticity for Swiss money demand: What do the cantons say about financial innovation?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1641-1660, October.
- Andreas Fischer, 2005. "Measuring Income Elasticity for Swiss Money Demand: What do the cantons say about financial innovation?," Working Papers 05.01, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2006. "Measuring Income Elasticity for Swiss Money Demand: What do the Cantons say about Financial Innovation?," Working Papers 2006-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Fischer, Andreas M, 2005. "Measuring Income Elasticity for Swiss Money Demand: What Do the Cantons Say About Financial Innovation?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5050, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ryuzo Miyao, 2002. "Liquidity Trap and the Stability of Money Demand: Is Japan Really Trapped at the Zero Bound?," Discussion Paper Series 127, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2010.
"Immigration and large banknotes,"
2010-17, Swiss National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.