Are education and training always complements? Evidence from Thailand
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between education and employer-provided training, both on-the-job and off-the-job, using a unique dataset drawn from a survey of Thai employees conducted in the summer of 2001. The authors find a negative and statistically significant relationship between educational attainment and on-the-job training (OJT) and a positive and statistically significant relationship between education and off-the-job training. Since the marginal monetary returns to OJT increase with education, the negative relationship between education and OJT suggests that the marginal costs of OJT are higher for the better educated, perhaps because the opportunity costs of the time spent receiving OJT increase with educational attainment. (Free full-text download available at http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/ilrreview/.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 59 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katja Görlitz & Marcus Tamm, 2012.
"Revisiting the Complementarity between Education and Training: The Role of Personality, Working Tasks and Firm Effects,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
477, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Katja Görlitz & Marcus Tamm, 2011. "Revisiting the Complementarity between Education and Training – The Role of Personality, Working Tasks and Firm Effects," Ruhr Economic Papers 0307, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Görlitz, Katja & Tamm, Marcus, 2012. "Revisiting the Complementarity between Education and Training: The Role of Personality, Working Tasks and Firm Effects," IZA Discussion Papers 6278, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sergio Scicchitano, 2010. "Complementarity between heterogeneous human capital and R&D: can job-training avoid low development traps?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 361-380, November.
- Francisca Bauer & Rudolf Hochholzer & Peter Huber, 2010. "Labour Turnover, Labour Market Density and In-house Training. Preliminary Results of the Vienna Employment and Skilling Monitor," WIFO Working Papers 367, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.