Phasing into retirement
AbstractTo help workers navigate the transition from work to retirement more effectively, employers have been launching phased retirement programs, which allow older employees to work part-time and receive full retirement benefits. This paper examines the experience of the phased retirement system for tenured faculty in the University of North Carolina system over the years 1996-98. After phased retirement was introduced, there was a sizable increase in the overall separation rate in the system. The key finding from an empirical analysis of the retirement decision as a function of pension incentives, employee performance, demographics, and campus characteristics is that the odds of entering phased retirement were strongly and inversely related to employee performance, as measured by recent pay increases. (Free full-text download available at http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/ilrreview/.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 58 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kenneth T. Whelan & Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Kevin F. Hallock & Ronald L. Seeber, 2011.
"Adverse Selection and Incentives in an Early Retirement Program,"
NBER Working Papers
17538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whelan, Kenneth T. & Ehrenberg, Ronald G. & Hallock, Kevin F. & Seeber, Ronald L., 2011. "Adverse Selection and Incentives in an Early Retirement Program," IZA Discussion Papers 6055, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pettersson, Jan, 2011. "Instead of Bowling Alone? Unretirement of Old-Age Pensioners," Working Paper Series 2011:14, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Robert Hutchens, 2007. "Phased Retirement: Problems and Prospects," Work Opportunity Briefs wob_8, Center for Retirement Research, revised Feb 2007.
- Lachowska, Marta & Sundén, Annika & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2009. "The Impact of a Phased Retirement Program: A Case Study," IZA Discussion Papers 4284, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.