Occupational attainment and gender earnings differentials in Mexico
AbstractWomen earned about 20.8% less than men in Mexico in 1987, a difference that increased to 22.0% by 1993. Using 1987-93 data from Mexico's National Urban Employment Survey, the authors study the role of occupational attainment in this wage differential. Most of the 1987-93 increase in the gender log monthly earnings gap, they find, can be explained by relative changes in human capital endowments; wage coefficient changes would have slightly reduced the gap, all else equal. The increasing male-female earnings differential was tempered by a substantial decline in gender differences in occupational attainment from 1987 to 1993. Most of the male-female differences in earnings in both 1987 and 1993 can be explained by differences in rewards to individual endowments rather than gender differences in endowments. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 53 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sebastián Calónico & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2008.
"Gender Segregation in the Workplace and Wage Gaps: Evidence from Urban Mexico 1994-2004,"
6742, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Sebastian Calonico & Hugo Ñopo, 2008. "Gender Segregation in the Workplace and Wage Gaps: Evidence from Urban Mexico 1994-2004," Research Department Publications 4579, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Cunningham, Wendy & Jacobsen, Joyce P., 2008. "Earnings inequality within and across gender, racial, and ethnic groups in four Latin American Countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4591, The World Bank.
- Michelle Rendall, 2012.
"Structural change in developing countries: has it decreased gender inequality?,"
ECON - Working Papers
077, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Rendall, Michelle, 2013. "Structural Change in Developing Countries: Has it Decreased Gender Inequality?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 1-16.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00564835 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:idb:brikps:52858 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sonia Frias, 2008. "Measuring Structural Gender Equality in Mexico: A State Level Analysis," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 88(2), pages 215-246, September.
- Gurleen Popli, 2008. "Gender wage discrimination in Mexico: A distributional approach," Working Papers 2008006, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2008.
- José A. Pagán & Miren Ullibarri, 2000. "Group Heterogeneity and the Gender Earnings Gap in Mexico," Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA, , vol. 0(1), pages 23-40, January-J.
- Sebastian Calonico & Hugo Ñopo, 2008. "Segregación de genero en el trabajo y diferenciales de salario: Evidencia de las zonas urbanas de Mexico 1994-2004," Research Department Publications 4580, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eva Olimpia Arceo Gómez & Raymundo Campos-Vázquez, 2013.
"Evolución de la Brecha Salarial de Género en México,"
DTE 556, CIDE, División de Economía.
- Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez & Eva O. Arceo-Gomez, 2013. "Evolución de la brecha salarial de género en México," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2013-07, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4412 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hazarika, Gautam & Otero, Rafael, 2002. "Foreign Trade and the Gender Earnings Differential in Urban Mexico," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- repec:lan:wpaper:4411 is not listed on IDEAS
- G Johnes, 2000. "Wage differentials and the responsiveness of labor supply: an international comparison," Working Papers 539615, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4843 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.