Flexible workplace practices: Evidence from a nationally representative survey
AbstractThe authors estimate the extent to which establishments have adopted six alternative work organization practices. Findings from the 1993 Survey of Employer Provided Training show that some 42% of all establishments used at least one of these practices, and among establishments with 50 or more employees the figure was nearly 70%. Establishment characteristics that were positively related to the use of the practices were the recent introduction of new technology; large size; manufacturing as the primary activity; incentive-based compensation; the provision of generous benefits; and the use of extensive training. The choice of practices varied greatly among establishments, with no apparent "best practice." (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 52 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Waldman, Michael, 2007.
"Theory and evidence in internal labor markets,"
5113, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Waldman, 2012.
"Theory and Evidence in Internal LaborMarkets
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Michael Waldman, 2012. "Theory and Evidence in Internal LaborMarkets
- Caroli, Ève, 2004. "Note de synthèse sur l'emploi des travailleurs âgés face à l'innovation," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 0503, CEPREMAP.
- Ollo-López, Andrea & Bayo-Moriones, Alberto & Larraza-Kintana, Martín, 2011. "The impact of country-level factors on the use of new work practices," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 394-403, July.
- Janod, Veronique & Saint-Martin, Anne, 2004. "Measuring the impact of work reorganization on firm performance: evidence from French manufacturing, 1995-1999," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 785-798, December.
- Michael J. Handel & Maury Gittleman, 2000.
"Is there a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?,"
- Michael J. Handel & Maury Gittleman, 1999. "Is There a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_288, Levy Economics Institute.
- Eriksson, Tor & Ortega, Jaime, 2004.
"The Adoption of Job Rotation: Testing the Theories,"
04-3, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Tor Eriksson & Jaime Ortega, 2006. "The adoption of job rotation: Testing the theories," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(4), pages 653-666, July.
- Theodore Papageorgiou, 2010. "Large Firms and Internal Labor Markets," 2010 Meeting Papers 1216, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2001. "Flexible Work Systems and the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," IZA Discussion Papers 353, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter Cappelli & David Neumark, 2001. "External Job Churning and Internal Job Flexibility," NBER Working Papers 8111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Morten Berg & Johnson, Bjorn & Lorenz, Edward & Lundvall, Bengt Ake, 2007. "Forms of knowledge and modes of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 680-693, June.
- Zwick, Thomas & Wolf, Elke, 2002. "Reassessing the Impact of High Performance Workplaces," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-07, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Daniel Müller, 2010. "On Horns and Halos: Confirmation Bias and Job Rotation," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse05_2010, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Anthony Arundel & Edward Lorenz & Bengt-Åke Lundvall & Antoin Valeyre, 2006. "The Organization of Work and Innovative Performance A comparison of the EU-15," DRUID Working Papers 06-14, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Bayo-Moriones, Alberto & Merino-Díaz-de-Cerio, Javier & Antonio Escamilla-de-León, Sergio & Mary Selvam, Rejina, 2011. "The impact of ISO 9000 and EFQM on the use of flexible work practices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 33-42, March.
- Cottini, Elena & Lucifora, Claudio, 2010. "Mental Health and Working Conditions in European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4717, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eileen Appelbaum & Larry W. Hunter, 2004. "Union Participation in Strategic Decisions of Corporations," NBER Chapters, in: Emerging Labor Market Institutions for the Twenty-First Century, pages 265-292 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabrice Gilles, 2006. "Quels effets des réorganisations sur la date de passage aux 35 heures ?. Une étude sur données individuelles d'entreprises," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1401-1425.
- Jacques, Jean-François & Walkowiak, Emmanuelle, 2009. "Low wages and high unemployment rates : The role of social interactions in hiring discrimination," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1902, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.