Job creation and job destruction in Great Britain in the 1980s
AbstractUsing data from the Workplace Industrial Relations Surveys of 1980, 1984, and 1990, the authors investigate processes of job creation and job destruction in Britain. They find that rates of employment growth, job creation, and job destruction were higher at the end of the 1980s than at the beginning. Both job creation and job destruction were extremely concentrated: about 50% of each was accounted for by just 4% of continuing establishments. Employment growth was apparently more variable in manufacturing plants than in private service sector workplaces. Some variables negatively related to employment growth were unionization, establishment size, establishment age, and location in the private manufacturing sector (versus private service sector). (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 50 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
Other versions of this item:
- David Blanchflower & Simon Burgess, 1996. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in Great Britain in the 1980s," CEP Discussion Papers dp0287, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis, 2012.
"Job creation and job destruction in EU agriculture,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 600-608.
- Liesbeth Dries & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2012. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in EU Agriculture," LICOS Discussion Papers 31512, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Dries, Liesbeth & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010. "Job creation and job destruction in the EU agriculture," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61351, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2011. "Job Creation And Job Destruction In The Eu Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114430, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chow, Clement Kong-Wing & Fung, Michael Ka Yiu, 2000. "Small businesses and liquidity constraints in financing business investment: Evidence from shanghai's manufacturing sector," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 363-383, July.
- Sheng, Yu & Xu, Xinpeng, 2011. "Real exchange rate, productivity and labor market frictions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 587-603, April.
- Raphael Bottura Corbi & Naércio Aquino Menezes Filho, 2007. "Liberdade Econômica, Liberdade Política E Felicidade: Uma Análise Empírica De Um Painel De Países," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 176, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Martin-Barroso, David & Nuñez-Serrano, Juan Andres & Turrion, Jaime & Velazquez, Francisco J., 2011. "The European Map of Job Flows," MPRA Paper 33602, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.