The effect of deregulation on employee earnings: Pilots, flight attendants, and mechanics, 1959û1992
AbstractPrevious studies of the effect of the 1978 Airline Deregulation Act on employee earnings have reported mixed results: some have found no negative long-run effect of deregulation and others have found a negative effect of up to 10%. Most of these studies relied on cross-sectional analysis of a few years' data. This paper, in contrast, examines the long-term trends in airline earnings, based on 34 years of newly collected firm-level data from the Department of Transportation's Form 41 and airline workers' unions. The author finds that although deregulation had no statistically significant effect on the earnings of mechanics, it strongly affected the earnings of flight attendants and pilots. Flight attendants' earnings were at least 12% lower by 1985 and 39% lower by 1992 than they would have been if deregulation had not occurred, and the corresponding shortfalls for pilots were 12% and 22%. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 49 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
Other versions of this item:
- Pierre-Yves Crémieux, 1993. "The Effect of Deregulation on Employee Earnings: Pilots, Flight attendants, and Mechanics, 1959-1990," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 9306, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:taf:applec:45:y:2013:i:18:p:2547-2562 is not listed on IDEAS
- Natália Pimenta Monteiro, 2007.
"Regulatory reform and labour earnings in Portuguese banking,"
NIPE Working Papers
7/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Natália Monteiro, 2009. "Regulatory reform and labour earnings in Portuguese banking," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 557-574, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.