The salary effect of faculty unionism in Canada
AbstractDespite the fact that the faculty at most universities in Canada are organized, there has been little investigation of the impact of unionization on Canadian faculty compensation. The results of this analysis of data collected from Statistics Canada publications and other sources for the period 1972-91 suggest an average salary premium of between 2% and 3% for faculty belonging to a certified bargaining unit, compared to nonunionized faculty. So-called "special plans," private agreements under which faculty associations annually negotiate salaries and other terms of employment but are denied the right to strike, appear to have had a similar effect on salaries. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 48 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Felice Martinello, 2007. "Faculty Salaries and Alternative Forms of Representation," Working Papers 0701, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Felice Martinello, 2009. "Faculty Salaries in Ontario: Compression, Inversion, and the Effects of Alternative Forms of Representation," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(1), pages 128, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.