Shareholder risks and returns in union and nonunion firms
AbstractThis study examines shareholder risk and rates of return in union and nonunion companies in 1973-87. Shareholder risk declined with the extent of union coverage in the 1970s, and returns were lower among highly unionized companies than among other companies during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Union-nonunion differences in risk were small and insignificant by the mid-1980s, however, and there was no systematic relationship between union coverage and shareholder returns in the mid-1970s or mid-1980s. Finally, firms with relatively low rates of return to investors in 1977-82 tended to experience larger than average declines in firm-level union coverage between 1977 and 1987. As a partial explanation for these findings, the authors posit a relationship between shareholder risk and the differential use of COLAs across industries and time. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 47 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2008.
"Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 153-176, Winter.
- Hirsch, Barry, 2007. "Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?," IZA Discussion Papers 2930, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chris Doucouliagos & Patrice Laroche, 2007. "Unions and Profitability: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2007_01, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Addison, John T., 2005.
"The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High Performance Work Practices,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1620, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison, 2005. "The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High Performance Work Practices," GEMF Working Papers 2005-03, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.