Determinants of contract duration in collective bargaining agreements
AbstractThe author develops a model incorporating variables that previous studies have hypothesized as determinants of labor contract duration, then empirically tests the model using a data set containing bargaining pair-specific, industry-specific, and union-specific variables on 373 contracts signed over the period 1977-87. Three findings, all consistent with the model, are that the rate of wage change in a contract is positively related to the contract's duration; contracts containing cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) tend to be considerably longer in duration than contracts without COLAs; and over the period studied, there was a substantial increase in average contract duration, even with controls for many economic factors. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 45 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christofides, L. & Peng, C., 2004.
"Contract Duration and Indexation in a Period of Real and Nominal Uncertainty,"
2004-3, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Christofides, Louis N. & Peng, Chen, 2006. "Contract duration and indexation in a period of real and nominal uncertainty," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 61-86, February.
- Louis Christofides & Amy Chen Peng, 2003. "Contract Duration and Indexation in a Period of Real and Nominal Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 994, CESifo Group Munich.
- Josep Tribo, 2005. "An analysis of the length of labour and financial contracts: a study for Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 905-916.
- Robert Rich & Joseph Tracy, 2004.
"Uncertainty and Labor Contract Durations,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 270-287, February.
- Murphy, Kevin J., 2000. "What effect does uncertainty have on the length of labor contracts?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 181-201, March.
- Robert Rich & Joseph Tracy, 2011. "Early contract renegotiation: An analysis of U.S. labor contracts from 1970 to 1995," Staff Reports 521, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- López-Bayón, Susana & González-Díaz, Manuel, 2010. "Indefinite contract duration: Evidence from electronics subcontracting," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 145-159, June.
- Andersen, Torben M., 2002. "Nominal rigidities and the optimal rate of inflation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 375-389, June.
- Dan Protopopescu, 2009. "Dynamic Stackelberg Game with Risk-Averse Players: Optimal Risk-Sharing under Asymmetric Information," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 797.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Danziger, Leif, 2010.
"Uniform and nonuniform staggering of wage contracts,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1038-1049, December.
- Danziger, Leif, 2010. "Uniform and Nonuniform Staggering of Wage Contracts," IZA Discussion Papers 5023, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leif Danziger, 2010. "Uniform and Nonuniform Staggering of Wage Contracts," CESifo Working Paper Series 3112, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Seidmann, Daniel J., 2006. "Endogenous contract structure and monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 1043-1060, May.
- Louis N. Christofides & Amy Peng, 2007.
"Real Wage Chronologies,"
0707, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Kanago, Bryce, 1998. "The Relation between Contract Duration and Inflation Uncertainty: Further Evidence," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 811-819, October.
- Barcena-Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo, Maria Luz, 2000. "Short-term or long-term labor contracts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 249-260, May.
- Danziger, Leif, 2008.
"Extension of labor contracts and optimal backpay,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 18-36, February.
- Lamarche, Carlos, 2013. "Industry-Wide Work Rules and Productivity: Evidence from Argentine Union Contract Data," IZA Discussion Papers 7673, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amy Peng & Louis N. Christofides, 2009. "Real Wage Chronology," Working Papers 011, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
- Louis Christofides & Chen Peng, 2006. "Major Provisions of Labour Contracts and their Theoretical Coherence," CESifo Working Paper Series 1700, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.