Information sharing and collective bargaining in Japan: Effects on wage negotiation
AbstractJapanese firms often attempt to influence the process and outcomes of wage negotiation by sharing confidential business information with their unions and employees through the joint consultation system. In this study, using a unique survey of Japanese joint consultation committees conducted in 1981, the author examines the effects of information sharing on the process and outcomes of wage negotiation. The results show that when firms engaged in increased information sharing, negotiation processes were shorter and easier, and unions tended to demand and accept lower wage increases. In contrast, a similar study performed in the United States found that information sharing increased labor's bargaining power. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Cramton & Hamid Mehran & Joseph Tracy, 2010. "Bargaining with a Shared Interest: The Impact of Employee Stock Ownership Plans on Labor Disputes," Papers of Peter Cramton 98wpesop, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised Jun 2010.
- Moriguchi, Chiaki, 2010.
"Top wage incomes in Japan, 1951-2005,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 301-333, September.
- Ana María Sabater & Joaquina Laffarga, 2004. "Comportamiento Diario Del Mercado Continuo Español Ante Un Evento Laboral: Un Analisis Empirico," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ohkusa, Y & Ohtake, F, 1997.
"The Productivity Effects of Information Sharing, Profit-Sharing and ESOPs,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0435, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ohkusa, Yasushi & Ohtake, Fumio, 1997. "The Productivity Effects of Information Sharing, Profit Sharing, and ESOPs," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 385-402, September.
- Helen Bewley & Howard Gospel & R Peccei & P Willman, 2003.
"Is it Good to Talk? Information Disclosure and Organisational Performance in the UK Incorporating evidence submitted on the DTI discussion paper 'High Performance Workplaces - Informing and Consulting,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0602, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Riccardo Peccei & Helen Bewley & Howard Gospel & Paul Willman, 2003. "Is it good to talk? Information disclosure and organisational performance in the UK incorporating evidence submitted on the DTI discussion paper 'high performance workplaces - informing and consulting," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20005, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Creane, Anthony, 2007. "Productivity information in vertical sharing agreements," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 821-841, August.
- Takao Kato, 2000.
"The Recent Transformation of Participatory Employment Practices in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
7965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takao Kato, 2003. "The Recent Transformation of Participatory Employment Practices in Japan," NBER Chapters, in: Labor Markets and Firm Benefit Policies in Japan and the United States, pages 39-80 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaime Saavedra-Chanduví & Máximo Torero, 2002.
"Union Density Changes and Union Effects On Firm Performance in Peru,"
Research Department Publications
3158, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jaime Saavedra-Chanduví & Máximo Torero, 2002. "Union Density Changes and Union Effects on Firm Performance in Peru," IDB Publications 43218, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Chiaki Moriguchi & Emmanuel Saez, 2006. "The Evolution of Income Concentration in Japan, 1886-2002: Evidence from Income Tax Statistics," NBER Working Papers 12558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Howard Gospel & P Willman, 2004. "Comparatively Open: Statutory Information Disclosure for Consultation and Bargaining in Germany, France and the UK," CEP Discussion Papers dp0615, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fuess, Jr., Scott M., 2001. "Union Bargaining Power: A View from Japan," IZA Discussion Papers 393, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Howard Gospel & Paul Willman, 2004. "Comparatively open: statutory information disclosure for consultation and bargaining in Germany, France and the UK," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 382, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Shin'ichi Hirota & Kohei Kawamura, 2002. "What Makes Autonomous Management Do Well?: Corporate Governance without External Controls," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm270, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Sep 2002.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.