The impact on economic performance of a transformation in industrial relations
AbstractThis study examines how a transformation in patterns of conflict and cooperation affected economic performance in 25 work areas of a large, unionized manufacturing facility in the period 1984-87. Unlike most studies of industrial relations and economic performance, this study clearly distinguishes conflict from cooperation but evaluates the two together, rather than focusing on only one. An analysis of data collected from union and employer records and interviews strongly suggests that work areas with "traditional" labor-management relations, rooted in adversarial assumptions, had higher costs, more scrap, lower productivity, and a lower return to direct labor hours worked than work areas with "transformational" relations, characterized by increased cooperation and improved dispute resolution. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benoit Dostie & Rajshri Jayaraman, 2008.
"Organizational redesign, information technologies and workplace productivity,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-08-007, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Dostie Benoit & Jayaraman Rajshri, 2012. "Organizational Redesign, Information Technologies and Workplace Productivity," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-41, February.
- Benoit Dostie & Rajshri Jayaraman, 2008. "Organizational Redesign, Information Technologies and Workplace Productivity," Cahiers de recherche 0813, CIRPEE.
- Benoit Dostie & Rajshri Jayaraman, 2008. "Organizational Redesign, Information Technologies and Workplace Productivity," Cahiers de recherche 08-06, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Dostie, Benoit & Jayaraman, Rajshri, 2008. "Organizational Redesign, Information Technologies and Workplace Productivity," IZA Discussion Papers 3612, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie & Rajshri Jayaraman, 2008. "Organizational Redesign, Information Technologies and Workplace Productivity," CIRANO Working Papers 2008s-22, CIRANO.
- Thomas Kochan & Eileen Appelbaum & Carrie Leana & Jody Hoffer Gittell, 2013. "The Human Capital Dimensions of Sustainable Investment: What Investment Analysts Need to Know," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2013-07, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, 2003. "Lean Transformation in the U.S. Aerospace Industry: Appreciating Interdependent Social and Technical Systems," Working papers 4299-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Susan Helper & Morris M. Kleiner, 2007.
"International Differences in Lean Production, Productivity and Employee Attitudes,"
NBER Working Papers
13015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan Helper & Morris M. Kleiner, 2009. "International Differences in Lean Production, Productivity, and Employee Attitudes," NBER Chapters, in: International Differences in the Business Practices and Productivity of Firms, pages 231-261 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graafland, J.J. & Rutten, B., 2004. "Perceived Organisational Support and Profitability," Discussion Paper 2004-45, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 2012. "Centralized Bargaining, Multi-Tasking, and Work Incentives," Working Paper Series 473, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kochan, Thomas A., 1992. "Teaching and building middle range industrial relations theory," Working papers 3380-92., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Valerij Dermol & Nada Trunk Širca, 2013. "Training, Creativity and Innovation," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
- Hazril Izwar IBRAHIM & Khairul Anuar Mohammad SHAH, 2013. "Effects of Organizational Characteristics Factors on the Implementation of Strategic Human Resource Practices: Evidence from Malaysian Manufacturing Firms," Economia. Seria Management, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 16(1), pages 5-24, June.
- Muhammad Arif Khattak & Nadeem Iqbal & Sajid Rahman Khattak, 2013. "Relationship between Employees Involvement and Organization Performance in Milieu of Pakistan," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(1), pages 219-230, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.