Problems of sample construction in studies of the effects of unemployment insurance on unemployment duration
AbstractConventional analyses of the effect of unemployment insurance (UI) on unemployment duration have neglected the issue of sample construction. The authors show that such studies, by failing to account for job finding among those eligible for UI within intervals corresponding to the waiting time and filing delays associated with drawing benefits, overstate the expected unemployment duration of UI recipients while understating that of nonrecipients; ignore a dominant line of causation running from duration to UI benefit status; produce misspecified hazard functions; and may overstate by as much as 50% the effect of the UI replacement rate on jobless duration. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 43 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 2004.
"How Does the Unemployment Insurance System Shape the Time Profile of Jobless Duration?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
978, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 2004. "How does the unemployment insurance system shape the time profile of jobless duration?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 229-234, November.
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "How Does the Unemployment Insurance System Shape the Time Profile of Jobless Duration?," Working Papers w200401, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mário Centeno, 2002.
"The Match Quality Gains from Unemployment Insurance,"
w200209, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mário Centeno, 2004. "The Match Quality Gains from Unemployment Insurance," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(3).
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 1998. "Regional differences in chronic long-term unemployment," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 193-215.
- Karen E. Needels & Walter Nicholson, 1999. "An Analysis of Unemployment Insurance Durations Since the 1990-1992 Recession," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 2823, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Addison, John T. & Blackburn, McKinley L., 2000. "The effects of unemployment insurance on postunemployment earnings," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-53, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.