The effect of international competition on union and nonunion wages
AbstractUsing data from the May 1975 to 1981 Current Population Surveys, the authors examine the impact of international competition on union and nonunion wages. Two findings emerge from the study. First, international competition, measured by import share, was a significant determinant of union and nonunion wages: a 10% rise in the import share lowered the union wage differential by about 2%. Second, the net negative effect of a given import share on both union and nonunion wages decreased sharply in absolute magnitude as the percentage organized increased. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 43 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:2000.17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Magnani, Elisabetta & Prentice, David, 2003.
"Did globalization reduce unionization? Evidence from US manufacturing,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 705-726, December.
- Elisabetta Magnani & David Prentice, 2000. "Did Globalization Reduce Unionisation? Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing," Working Papers 2000.17, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Persyn, Damiaan, 2008.
"Trade as a Wage Disciplining Device,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3786, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2012.
"Strategic investment and international outsourcing in unionised oligopoly,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 260-269.
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, . "Strategic Investment and International Outsourcing In Unionised Oligopoly," Discussion Papers 11/18, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2010. "Strategic investment and international outsourcing in unionised oligopoly," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-19, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2010. "Strategic Investment And International Outsourcing In Unionised Oligopoly," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 231, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Gaston, Noel & Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "Union wage sensitivity to trade and protection: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 1-25, August.
- Arijit Mukherjee, . "Product market competition, external economies of scale and unionized wage," Discussion Papers 11/14, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Jorge Saba Arbache, 1999. "Trade Liberalisation and Insider Power: The Case of Brazil," Studies in Economics 9902, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Minsik Choi, 2001. "Threat Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Labor Union Wage Premium," Working Papers wp27, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- De Santis, Roberto A., 1997. "The impact of a customs union with the EU on Turkey's welfare, employment and income distribution: An AGE analysis," Kiel Working Papers 843, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Eugene Beaulieu & Vivek Dehejia & Hazrat-Omar Zakhilwal, 2004. "International Trade, Labour Turnover, and the Wage Premium: Testing the Bhagwati-Dehejia Hypothesis for Canada," CESifo Working Paper Series 1149, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.