Labor market conditions and the reemployment of displaced workers
AbstractThe authors of this study use data from the January 1984 Current Population Survey to examine the impact of local labor market conditions on the financial losses of displaced manufacturing workers. They find that strong overall growth in the local economy reduced the economic losses of white-collar workers whose industry of displacement was declining, but not of blue-collar workers in the same situation. Most older, poorly educated blue-collar workers with long tenure at their pre-layoff job suffered large financial losses even when displaced in a growing local economy. All workers, including those who were young and well-educated, suffered large financial losses when located in a depressed local economy. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 42 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaplan, David & Martinez, Gabriel & Robertson, Raymond, 2005.
"What Happens to Wages After Displacement?,"
3079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Couch, Kenneth A. & Jolly, Nicholas A. & Placzek, Dana W., 2011. "Earnings losses of displaced workers and the business cycle: An analysis with administrative data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 16-19, April.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 1998. "Regional differences in chronic long-term unemployment," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 193-215.
- Sewin Chan & Ann Huff Stevens, 1999.
"Job Loss and Retirement Behavior of Older Men,"
NBER Working Papers
6920, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnaud Lefranc, 2000. "Wage Losses of Displaced Workers in France and the US?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1566, Econometric Society.
- Phillip B. Levine & Olivia S. Mitchell, 1991. "Expected Changes in the Workforce and Implications for Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 3743, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levernier, William & Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 1998. "Differences in Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan U.S. Family Income Inequality: A Cross-County Comparison," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 272-290, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.