Providing business information to production workers: Correlates of compensation and profitability
AbstractThis study investigates some of the effects of a company's providing production workers with information on its financial condition, productivity, and relative standing in the labor market. Analyzing survey responses of business executives from 106 firms together with financial data on the companies from COMPUSTAT II for 1984, the authors find that information-sharing was positively related to the level of wages and benefits and unrelated to productivity in both union and nonunion businesses, and that it had a significant negative relationship to profits and cash flows in nonunion businesses. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 41 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helen Bewley & Howard Gospel & R Peccei & P Willman, 2003. "Is it Good to Talk? Information Disclosure and Organisational Performance in the UK Incorporating evidence submitted on the DTI discussion paper 'High Performance Workplaces - Informing and Consulting," CEP Discussion Papers dp0602, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Chen, Tsung-Kang & Chen, Yan-Shing & Liao, Hsien-Hsing, 2011. "Labor unions, bargaining power and corporate bond yield spreads: Structural credit model perspectives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 2084-2098, August.
- Creane, Anthony, 2007. "Productivity information in vertical sharing agreements," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 821-841, August.
- Howard Gospel & P Willman, 2004. "Comparatively Open: Statutory Information Disclosure for Consultation and Bargaining in Germany, France and the UK," CEP Discussion Papers dp0615, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Chiaki Moriguchi, 2008.
"Top Wage Incomes in Japan, 1951-2005,"
NBER Working Papers
14537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moriguchi, Chiaki, 2010. "Top wage incomes in Japan, 1951-2005," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 301-333, September.
- Surendra Gera & Wulong Gu, 2004. "The Effect of Organizational Innovation and Information and Communications Technology on Firm Performance," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 9, pages 37-51, Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.