Union effects on job attitudes
AbstractThis paper examines differences in the reported job satisfaction of union members and nonmembers using a multiple equation model that treats union membership, wage rates, and reported satisfaction as endogenously determined. The results indicate that union members differ from nonmembers in how they assess their satisfaction with supervision, co-workers, and job content. Consistent with prior research, union members are found to report lower levels of satisfaction than nonmembers. Although many studies have attributed such findings to the availability of the "voice" option in unionized settings, analyses of the effects of employer tenure and grievance procedure use lend only partial support to the "exit-voice" hypothesis. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 40 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach, 2009.
"Quality in work and aggregate productivity,"
IREA Working Papers
200901, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Haile, Getinet Astatike & Bryson, Alex & White, Michael, 2012. "Heterogeneity in Union Status and Employee Well-Being," IZA Discussion Papers 7075, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Feld, Lars P., 1997. "Exit, voice and income taxes: The loyalty of voters," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 455-478, September.
- Sarkar, Santanu, 2012. "Determinants of employees’ attitudes toward union membership in India," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 240-250.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.