The impact of strikes on shareholder equity
AbstractFrom an analysis of data for 1962-82, the authors find that strikes substantially affect shareholder equity as measured by the change in stock prices associated with strikes. Over that period the average strike involving 1,000 or more workers resulted in a 4.1% drop in shareholder equity, representing a decline of $72-87 million in 1980 dollars. Costs varied widely across industries. The authors also find that capital markets are usually able to anticipate whether an impending contract deadline will result in a strike or settlement. In the prestrike period, however, the stock market consistently underestimates the cost of a strike to shareholders, as evidenced by the fact that nearly two-thirds of the total decline in returns (2.7 percent) occurs after the strike is announced. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 39 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John M. Abowd & George T. Milkovich & John M. Hannon, 1990.
"The effects of human resource management decisions on shareholder value,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(3), pages 203-236, February.
- John M. Abowd & George T. Milkovich & John M. Hannon, 1989. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Decisions on Shareholder Value," NBER Working Papers 3148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mauleon, Ana & Vannetelbosch, Vincent, 2004.
"Bargaining with endogenous deadlines,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 321-335, July.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent J., . "Bargaining with endogenous deadlines," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1719, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ana MAULEON & Vincent J. VANNETELBOSCH, 2001. "Bargaining with Endogenous Deadlines," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001021, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- David Lee & Alexandre Mas, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Unions on Firms: New Evidence from Financial Markets, 1961-1999," NBER Working Papers 14709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Carl, 2011.
"Give Me Your Wired and Your Highly Skilled: Measuring the Impact of Immigration Policy on Employers and Shareholders,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5754, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carl Lin, 2011. "Give me your wired and your highly skilled: measuring the impact of immigration policy on employers and shareholders," Working Papers 2011/17, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Martin B. Schmidt & David J. Berri, 2004. "The Impact of Labor Strikes on Consumer Demand: An Application to Professional Sports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 344-357, March.
- Chen, Tsung-Kang & Chen, Yan-Shing & Liao, Hsien-Hsing, 2011. "Labor unions, bargaining power and corporate bond yield spreads: Structural credit model perspectives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 2084-2098, August.
- Lin, Carl, 2012. "Less Myth, More Measurement: Decomposing Excess Returns from the 1989 Minimum Wage Hike," IZA Discussion Papers 6269, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martinello, F. & Hanrahan, R. & Kushner, J. & Masse, I., 1995.
"The Effect of Work Stoppages on the Value of Firms in Canada,"
Working Papers, Brock University, Department of Economics
1995-04, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Hanrahan, Robert & Kushner, Joseph & Martinello, Felice & Masse, Isidore, 1997. "The effect of work stoppages on the value of firms in Canada," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 151-166.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.