The labor-force participation of older workers
AbstractThis study examines the decision to participate in the labor force made by persons over 54 years of age. Through the use of a set of pooled time-series cross-section observations from the Current Population Survey over the years 1974 - 80, the analysis emphasizes the effect of two factors on this decision: cohort crowding and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The empirical results reveal that pressures arising from the relative growth in the youth population led to increased labor market activity by older women; that retirement incentives in the form of SSI and social security had a negative effect on female as well as male labor-force behavior, though the effects were considerably stronger for men; and that the differential between men's and women's participation rates was largely a result of the female response to marital status and retirement incentives. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 37 (1984)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aranki, Ted & Macchiarelli, Corrado, 2013.
"Employment duration and shifts into retirement in the EU,"
Working Paper Series
1517, European Central Bank.
- Ted Aranki & Corrado Macchiarelli, 2013. "Employment duration and shifts into retirement in the EU," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 53190, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ted Aranki & Corrado Macchiarelli, 2013. "Employment Duration and Shifts into Retirement in the EU," LEQS â LSE 'Europe in Question' Discussion Paper Series 58, European Institute, LSE.
- Ted Aranki & Corrado Macchiarelli, 2013. "Employment Duration and Shifts into Retirement in the EU," Europe in Question Discussion Paper Series of the London School of Economics (LEQs) 8, London School of Economics / European Institute.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2098010 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maroesjka Versantvoort & Lambert van der Laan, 1998. "Analysing Labour Supply in a Lifestyle Perspective," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-010/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.