The early acceptance of social security: An asset maximization approach
AbstractThis paper, using a sample from the 1973 Social Security Exact Match File, tests the importance of economic factors in the decision of male workers to take social security (OASI) benefits at age 62. Previous studies of this decision have concentrated on the flow of pension benefits available to the worker in a single year, but this study emphasizes the asset nature of such benefits. The potential loss in market earnings when OASI benefits are accepted is weighed against the change in the total potential value of private pension and OASI benefits if retirement is postponed. The present value of the entire potential stream of benefits emerges as more important theoretically and empirically than the value of annual benefits immediately available to the worker. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1980)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leora Friedberg, 2000.
"The Labor Supply Effects of the Social Security Earnings Test,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 48-63, February.
- Leora Friedberg, 1999. "The Labor Supply Effects of the Social Security Earnings Test," NBER Working Papers 7200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David A. Wise, 1994.
"Aging and Labor Force Participation: A Review of Trends and Explanations,"
NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc,
in: Aging in the United States and Japan: Economic Trends, pages 7-42
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David A. Wise & Robin L. Lumsdaine, 1990. "Aging and Labor Force Participation: A Review of Trends and Explanations," NBER Working Papers 3420, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert L. Clark & Joseph F. Quinn, 1999. "Effects of Pensions on Labor Markets and Retirement," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 431, Boston College Department of Economics.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1984. "Life Cycle Annuity Valuation," NBER Working Papers 1511, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & David A. Wise, 1988.
"Pensions, The Option Value of Work, and Retirement,"
NBER Working Papers
2686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H & Wise, David A, 1990. "Pensions, the Option Value of Work, and Retirement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 58(5), pages 1151-80, September.
- Arjan Heyma, 2004. "A structural dynamic analysis of retirement behaviour in the Netherlands," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(6), pages 739-759.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1999.
"Taxation and Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
7061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1999. "Taxation and Saving," Working Papers, Stanford University, Department of Economics 99007, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Disney, Richard & Whitehouse, Edward, 1999.
"Pension plans and retirement incentives,"
14755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catherine Cazals, 1994. "La retraite dans les modèles d'offre de travail : un survol de la littérature," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, Programme National Persée, vol. 115(4), pages 43-62.
- Gungor Karakaya, 2009.
"Early cessation of activity in the labour market: impact of supply and demand factors,"
DULBEA Working Papers, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles
09-04.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Karakaya, Güngör, 2008. "Early cessation of activity in the labour market: impact of supply and demand factors," MPRA Paper 13390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Urs Oberhänsli, 1983. "Substitutionswirkungen zwischen persönlichen Ersparnissen und der kollektiven Altersvorsorge in der Schweiz," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 119(II), pages 117-137, June.
- Bender, Keith A. & Mavromaras, Kostas G. & Theodossiou, Ioannis & Wei, Zhang, 2014. "The Effect of Wealth and Earned Income on the Decision to Retire: A Dynamic Probit Examination of Retirement," IZA Discussion Papers 7927, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clark, Randolph Lee & Anker R, 1989. "Labour force participation rates of older persons: an international comparison," ILO Working Papers, International Labour Organization 272881, International Labour Organization.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & Gary S. Fields, 1981. "The Effects of Pensions and Earnings on Retirement: A Review Essay," NBER Working Papers 0772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.