The impact of unionization on productivity: A case study
AbstractThis study examines the effect of unionization on productivity through the use of time-series data on selected establishments in the U.S. cement industry. The analysis combines statistical estimation of the union impact and interviews with union and management officials to forge a link between econometric estimation and the traditional institutional analysis of union policy and management practice. The econometric analysis deals primarily with the problem of controlling for interfirm differences in variables such as the quality of management and also for the possible union impact on labor quality. The case studies are designed to show the specific ways in which unionization affects productivity. The empirical results indicate that unionization leads to productivity gains, deriving in large part from a series of extensive changes in management personnel and procedures. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1980)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1994.
"Pollution Abatement Costs, Regulation And Plant-Level Productivity,"
94-14, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1995. "Pollution Abatement Costs, Regulation, and Plant-Level Productivity," NBER Working Papers 4994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, David S. & Mas, Alexandre, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Unions on Firms: New Evidence from Financial Markets, 1961-1999," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt1j93n8gj, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G & Schumann, Paul L, 1984.
"Compensating Wage Differentials for Mandatory Overtime?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(4), pages 460-78, October.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Paul L. Schumann, 1985. "Compensating Wage Differentials for Mandatory Overtime," NBER Working Papers 0805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert S. Huckman & Jason Barro, 2005. "Cohort Turnover and Productivity: The July Phenomenon in Teaching Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 11182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karina Gose & Abdolkarim Sadrieh, 2013. "Strike, coordination, and dismissal in uniform wage settings," FEMM Working Papers 130008, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Fang, Tony & Ge, Ying, 2012. "Unions and firm innovation in China: Synergy or strife?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 170-180.
- Geoffrey Rapp, 2000. "Agency and Choice in Education: Does school choice enhance the work effort of teachers?," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 37-63.
- Hellerstein, Judith K & Neumark, David & Troske, Kenneth R, 1999.
"Wages, Productivity, and Worker Characteristics: Evidence from Plant-Level Production Functions and Wage Equations,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(3), pages 409-46, July.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark & Kenneth R. Troske, 1996. "Wages, Productivity, and Worker Characteristics: Evidence from Plant-Level Production Functions and Wage Equations," NBER Working Papers 5626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shaw, Kathryn, 2009. "Insider econometrics: A roadmap with stops along the way," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 607-617, December.
- Ana María Sabater & Joaquina Laffarga, 2004. "Comportamiento Diario Del Mercado Continuo Español Ante Un Evento Laboral: Un Analisis Empirico," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Kim B. Clark, 1982. "Unionization and Firm Performance: The Impact on Profits, Growth and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 0990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1993.
"Environmental Regulation And Manufacturing Productivity At The Plant Level,"
93-6, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1993. "Environmental Regulation and Manufacturing Productivity at the Plant Level," NBER Working Papers 4321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Lee & Alexandre Mas, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Unions on Firms: New Evidence from Financial Markets, 1961-1999," NBER Working Papers 14709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.