Job search by unemployed women: Determinants of the asking wage
AbstractThis study uses actual observations of reservation wages from the National Longitudinal Survey of Mature Women who were 35 to 49 years of age in 1972 to estimate, with a two-stage least squares procedure, a model of the jobsearch behavior of unemployed women. To a greater extent than shown by most previous studies, the results indicate that unemployed women substantially reduce their reservation wages as the period of their unemployment progresses. Also, recipients of unemployment insurance are shown to ask for wages that are substantially higher than those asked for by other unemployed women. (Abstract courtesy JSTOR.)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School in its journal ILR Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1980)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Postal: 381 Ives East, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bjoern Christensen, 2005. "Reservationslöhne und Arbeitslosigkeitsdauer," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 225(3), pages 303-324, May.
- Maani Sholeh, 1983. "La Duración del Desempleo y el Salario de Reserva de Varones Desempleados: El Caso Chileno," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 20(59), pages 101-112.
- Wolfgang Franz, 1980. "The Reservation Wage of Unemployed Persons in the Federal Republic of Germany: Theory and Empirical Tests," NBER Working Papers 0578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tekie Fessehatzion & Bichaka Fayissa, 1990. "Public assistance and job search behavior of the rural poor-evidence from the mississippi delta," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 79-91, December.
- Polachek, Solomon & Xiang, Jun, 2005. "The Effects of Incomplete Employee Wage Information: A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1735, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pradeep Kumar Panda, 1999. "Poverty and young women's employment: Linkages in Kerala," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 292, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ILR Review).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.