Business-to-business electronic marketplaces: Joining a public or creating a private
AbstractWe analyse a firm's incentives to create a private B2B e-marketplace or to join a public e-marketplace. In the former the firm incurs higher set-up costs but lower quality investment costs due to closer supplier-buyer collaboration than in the public. In the latter, the firm's quality improvement may spillover to competitors. We show that a firm's incentives to create a private e-marketplace are stronger, the closer is supplier-buyer collaboration, the higher are spillovers, and the larger is the buyer's profit share within the e-marketplace. Our welfare analysis indicates that a firm's incentives do not always coincide with those of a social planner. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Symeonidis, 2002.
"Comparing Cournot and Bertrand Equilibria in a Differentiated Duopoly with Product R&D,"
Economics Discussion Papers
539, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Symeonidis, George, 2003. "Comparing Cournot and Bertrand equilibria in a differentiated duopoly with product R&D," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 39-55, January.
- Chemla, G., 1999.
"Downstream Competition, Foreclosure, and Vertical Integration,"
99-18, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- G. Chemla, 1999. "Downstream competition, foreclosure, and vertical integration," THEMA Working Papers 99-18, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Bester, Helmut, 1993. "Bargaining versus Price Competition in Markets with Quality Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 278-88, March.
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Ulph, David, 1998. "Endogenous Spillovers and the Performance of Research Joint Ventures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 333-57, September.
- Paolo G. GARELLA & Emmanuel PETRAKIS, 2007.
"Minimum quality standards and consumers’ information,"
Departmental Working Papers
2007-12, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Paolo Garella & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2008. "Minimum quality standards and consumers’ information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 283-302, August.
- Paolo Garella & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2005. "Minimum Quality Standards and Consumers Information," Working Papers 0510, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- P. Garella & P. Petrakis, 2004. "Minimum Quality Standards and ConsumersÕ Information," Working Papers 532, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Rach, Sabine & Tschöpel, Michael, 2011. "Handelsplattformen im Internet: Eine Literaturstudie zur empirischen Evidenz," Arbeitspapiere 112, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Henseler, Marco, 2006.
"Horizontal versus Vertical Electronic Business-to-Business Marketplaces,"
40853, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Henseler, 2006. "Horizontal versus Vertical Electronic Business-to-Business Marketplaces," Discussion paper series from the Institute of Economics and Law, University of Stuttgart 2006/1, University of Stuttgart, Institute of Economics and Law.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, 2004. "B2B marketplaces : Emergence and entry," CORE Discussion Papers 2004078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lluís Bru & Ramon Faulí-Oller & Joel Sandonís, 2011.
"Partial price discrimination by an upstream monopolist,"
Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 217-231, June.
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Lluís Bru & Joel Sandonís, 2006. "Partial Price Discrimination By An Upstream Monopolist," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.