Exchange Rate and Price Adjustments in the Aftermath of the Asian Crisis
AbstractThis study investigates the behavioural dynamics of the real exchange rates of five East Asian economies--Indonesia, Korea, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand--in the aftermath of the 1997 currency crisis. The results of cointegration analyses suggest that, despite the turbulent exchange rate movements during the crisis, the long-run purchasing power parity has remained to dictate the exchange rate and price relationship for all but Indonesia. The effects on the short-run dynamics are not unanimous, and there are indications of structural changes for selected countries, namely Korea and Thailand. Further, using impulse responses, we find that the speed of real exchange rate mean reversion is barely affected by the crisis, except for the Korean won. Overall, the empirical results suggest that the effects of the Asian crisis can generally be regarded as a temporary deviation rather than a fundamental shift in the real exchange rate behaviour. Copyright @ 2002 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Salah Nusair, 2012. "Nonlinear adjustment of Asian real exchange rates," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 221-246, August.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie & Fujii, Eiji, 2003.
"China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: A Quantitative Assessment of Real and Financial Integration,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt01g0h0q2, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie D. & Fujii, Eiji, 2003. "China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: A quantitative assessment of real and financial integration," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 281-303.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2003. "China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: A Quantitative Assessment of Real and Financial Integration," CESifo Working Paper Series 851, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie David & Fujii, Eiji, 2003. "China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: A Quantitative Assessment of Real and Financial Integration," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt13d9m8jv, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie & Fujii, Eiji, 2003. "China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: A Quantitative Assessment of Real and Financial Integration," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt01g0h0q2, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2003. "China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: A Quantitative Assessment of Real and Financial Integration," Working Papers 152003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yu Hsing, 2006. "Analysis of Short-term Exchange Rate Movements in Korea: Application of an Extended Mundell-Fleming Model," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 145-151.
- Angelos Kanas, 2009. "Real exchange rates and developing countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 280-299.
- Zurbruegg, R. & Allsopp, L., 2004. "Purchasing power parity and the impact of the East Asian currency crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 739-758, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2005:i:6:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2010. "Asymmetry dynamics in real exchange rates: New results on East Asian currencies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 648-661, October.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Chan, Tze-Haw & Aggarwal, Raj, 2006. "The Changing Dynamics of the East Asian Real Exchange Rates after the Financial Crisis: Further Evidence on Mean Reversion," MPRA Paper 6090, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 22 Nov 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.