A Cointegration Analysis of the Official and Parallel Foreign Exchange Markets for Dollars in Greece
AbstractThis paper examines the monetary model of exchange rate determination from a long-run perspective in the presence of a parallel or black market for US dollars in Greece using monthly data for the recent float, in four ways. First, unit root tests that maintain both stationarity and nonstationarity about either mean or trend are employed to determine the order of integration of our data. Second, using the Johansen's multivariate cointegration technique we found one significant cointegration vector. Johansen's FIML and Stock and Watson's (1993) DOLS approach were employed to estimate the cointegration coefficients. Third, formal stability tests as described by Hansen and Johansen (1993) were used, and it is shown that the dimension of the cointegration space may exhibit sample dependency, but the estimated coefficients are not unstable in recursive estimations. Finally, a new efficient and consistent test that maintains the null of cointegration developed by Shin (1994) was utilized, and once again the evidence in favour of cointegration was accepted. Copyright @ 1998 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 3 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Other versions of this item:
- George Kouretas & Leonidas Zarangas, . "A Cointegration Analysis Of The Official And Parallel Foreign Exchange Markets For Dollars In Greece," Working Papers 9512, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Panayiotis Diamandis & Georgios Kouretas & Leonidas Zarangas, 2005. "Expectations and the black market premium for foreign currency in Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(10), pages 667-677.
- Kanas, Angelos & Kouretas, Georgios P., 2007. "Regime dependence between the official and parallel foreign currency markets for US dollars in Greece," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 431-449, June.
- Aslanidis, Nektarios & Kouretas, Georgios P., 2005.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in the parallel and official markets for foreign currency in Greece,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 665-682, July.
- Nektarios Aslanidis & George Kouretas, 2003. "Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in the parallel and official markets for foreign currency in Greece," Working Papers 0311, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Costas Milas & Jesus Otero, 2000.
"Modelling official and parallel exchange rates in Colombia under alternative regimes: a non-linear approach,"
BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN
003231, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Milas, Costas & Otero, Jesus, 2003. "Modelling official and parallel exchange rates in Colombia under alternative regimes: a non-linear approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 165-179, January.
- Jesús Otero & Costas Milas, 2001. "Modelling Official And Parallel Exchange Rates In Colombia Under Alternative Regimes: A Non-Linear Approach," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 PO2, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Milonas, Nikolaos /T & Papachristou, George & Roupas, Theodor /A, 2010. "Pension Funds under Investments Constraints: An Assessment of the Opportunity Cost to the Greek Social Security System," MPRA Paper 36702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ayla Oğuş Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Intertemporal Solvency of Turkey’s Current Account,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 89-104, March.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Intertemporal solvency of Turkey’s current account," Working Papers 0805, Izmir University of Economics.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F., 2003. "Market efficiency, purchasing power parity, and the official and parallel markets for foreign currency in Latin America," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 89-110.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 2008.
"Nominal exchange rate flexibility and real exchange rate adjustment: New evidence from dual exchange rates in developing countries,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 415-434, August.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai, 2007. "Nominal Exchange Rate Flexibility and Real Exchange Rate Adjustment: New Evidence from Dual Exchange Rates in Developing Countries," Working Papers 092007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Georgios Kouretas & Leonidas Zarangas, 2001. "Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity and Structural Change: The Official and Parallel Foreign Exchange Markets For Dollars In Greece," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 109-128.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F. & Kouretas, Georgios P. & Zarangas, Leonidas, 2007. "Dual foreign currency markets and the role of expectations: Evidence from the Pacific Basin countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 238-259, June.
- Panayiotis Diamantis & Dimitris Georgoutsos & George Kouretas, 2001. "The Monetary Approach in the Presence of I(2) Components: A Cointegration Analysis of the Official and Black Market for Foreign Currency in Latin America," Working Papers 0108, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai, 2005. "Nominal Exchange Rate Flexibility and Real Exchange Rate Adjustment: Evidence from Dual Exchange Rates in Developing Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1512, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.