Does purchasing power parity hold in emerging markets? Evidence from a panel of black market exchange rates
AbstractWe examine the purchasing power parity (PPP) hypothesis using a unique panel of monthly data on black market exchange rates for 34 emerging market economies. We apply a large number of recent heterogeneous panel unit root and cointegration tests. Panel unit root tests reject mean reversion in black market real exchange rates for most (but not all) emerging market economies. On the other hand, all panel cointegration tests provide strong evidence of cointegration between the nominal black market exchange rate and domestic and foreign prices for both individual countries and the full panel. Since we believe that the findings from unit root tests may be affected by the imposition of the joint symmetry and proportionality restriction due to trade restrictions and measurement errors, we test for such a restriction using likelihood ratio tests and find that it is strongly rejected. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alan Taylor & Mark Taylor, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
46, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Alan & Taylor, Mark, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," Working Papers 04-6, University of California at Davis, Department of Economics.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," NBER Working Papers 10607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, Alan M & Taylor, Mark P, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," CEPR Discussion Papers 4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Taylor, 2006. "Real exchange rates and Purchasing Power Parity: mean-reversion in economic thought," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 1-17.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity Tests In Cointegrated Panels,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 727-731, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Pedroni PPP tests on panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00132, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity Tests in Cointegrated Panels," Department of Economics Working Papers 2001-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang, 1997.
"On the Estimation and Inference of a Cointegrated Regression in Panel Data,"
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang, 1999. "On the Estimation and Inference of a Cointegrated Regression in Panel Data," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 2, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Coakley, Jerry & Flood, Robert P. & Fuertes, Ana M. & Taylor, Mark P., 2005. "Purchasing power parity and the theory of general relativity: the first tests," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 293-316, March.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots," Scholarly Articles 3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Hamid Baghestani, 1997. "Purchasing power parity in the presence of foreign exchange black markets: the case of India," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1147-1154.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- repec:rus:hseeco:181565 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Harris & Steve Leybourne & Brendan McCabe, 2003. "Panel Stationarity Tests with Cross-sectional Dependence," Econometrics 0311005, EconWPA.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Girardin, Eric, 2001. "Foreign exchange markets in transition economies: China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 215-235, February.
- O'Connell, Paul G. J., 1998. "The overvaluation of purchasing power parity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2005.
"Black Market And Official Exchange Rates:Long-Run Equilibrium And Short-Run Dynamics,"
Public Policy Discussion Papers
05-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2008. "Black Market and Official Exchange Rates: Long-run Equilibrium and Short-run Dynamics," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 401-412, 08.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2006. "Black Market and Official Exchange Rates: Long-Run Equilibrium and Short-Run Dynamics," CESifo Working Paper Series 1851, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2005. "Black Market And Official Exchange Rates:Long-Run Equilibrium And Short-Run Dynamics," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 05-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Mario Gómez Aguirre & José Carlos A. Rodríguez Chávez, 2012. "Análisis de la paridad del poder de compra: evidencia empírica entre México y Estados Unidos," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 27(1), pages 169-207.
- Mario Cerrato & Hyunsok Kim & Ronald Macdonald, 2010. "Three-Regime Asymmetric STAR Modeling and Exchange Rate Reversion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(7), pages 1447-1467, October.
- Mario Cerrato & Hyunsok Kim & Ronald MacDonald, 2008.
"3-Regime symmetric STAR modeling and exchange rate reversion,"
2009_05, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Feb 2009.
- Cerrato, Mario & Kim, Hyunsok & MacDonald, Ronald, 2009. "3-Regime symmetric STAR modeling and exchange rate reversion," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-07, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Emma García, . "Purchasing Power Parity Revisited," Working Papers 2003-20, FEDEA.
- Alper ASLAN, 2010. "The validity of PPP: evidence from Lagrange multiplier unit root tests for ASEAN countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1433-1443.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.