Does purchasing power parity hold in emerging markets? Evidence from a panel of black market exchange rates
AbstractWe examine the purchasing power parity (PPP) hypothesis using a unique panel of monthly data on black market exchange rates for 34 emerging market economies. We apply a large number of recent heterogeneous panel unit root and cointegration tests. Panel unit root tests reject mean reversion in black market real exchange rates for most (but not all) emerging market economies. On the other hand, all panel cointegration tests provide strong evidence of cointegration between the nominal black market exchange rate and domestic and foreign prices for both individual countries and the full panel. Since we believe that the findings from unit root tests may be affected by the imposition of the joint symmetry and proportionality restriction due to trade restrictions and measurement errors, we test for such a restriction using likelihood ratio tests and find that it is strongly rejected. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Taylor, Alan M & Taylor, Mark P, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang, 1997.
"On the Estimation and Inference of a Cointegrated Regression in Panel Data,"
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang, 1999. "On the Estimation and Inference of a Cointegrated Regression in Panel Data," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 2, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity Tests in Cointegrated Panels,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2001-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity Tests In Cointegrated Panels," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 727-731, November.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELDOLS: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean DOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00150, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELFM: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean FMOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots,"
3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Technical Working Papers 0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2002.
"Nonlinear IV unit root tests in panels with cross-sectional dependency,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 261-292, October.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2002. "Nonlinear IV Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Working Papers 2000-08, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Yoosoon Chang, 2000. "Nonlinear IV Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-85, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- O'Connell, Paul G. J., 1998. "The overvaluation of purchasing power parity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-19, February.
- David Harris & Steve Leybourne & Brendan McCabe, 2003. "Panel Stationarity Tests with Cross-sectional Dependence," Econometrics 0311005, EconWPA.
- Coakley, Jerry & Flood, Robert P. & Fuertes, Ana M. & Taylor, Mark P., 2005. "Purchasing power parity and the theory of general relativity: the first tests," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 293-316, March.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Lothian, James R., 1997. "Multi-country evidence on the behavior of purchasing power parity under the current float," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 19-35, February.
- Mark Taylor, 2006. "Real exchange rates and Purchasing Power Parity: mean-reversion in economic thought," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 1-17.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Girardin, Eric, 2001. "Foreign exchange markets in transition economies: China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 215-235, February.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hamid Baghestani, 1997. "Purchasing power parity in the presence of foreign exchange black markets: the case of India," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1147-1154.
- repec:rus:hseeco:181565 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ritesh Kumar Mishra & Sanjay Sehgal, 2011. "Exchange rates and prices in purchasing power parity framework: Are bilateral real exchange rates stationary?," International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(3), pages 274-286.
- He, Huizhen & Ranjbar, Omid & Chang, Tsangyao, 2013. "Purchasing power parity in transition countries: Old wine with new bottle," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 24-32.
- Mario Cerrato & Hyunsok Kim & Ronald MacDonald, 2008.
"3-Regime symmetric STAR modeling and exchange rate reversion,"
2009_05, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Feb 2009.
- Cerrato, Mario & Kim, Hyunsok & MacDonald, Ronald, 2009. "3-Regime symmetric STAR modeling and exchange rate reversion," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-07, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2005.
"Black Market And Official Exchange Rates:Long-Run Equilibrium And Short-Run Dynamics,"
Public Policy Discussion Papers
05-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2008. "Black Market and Official Exchange Rates: Long-run Equilibrium and Short-run Dynamics," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 401-412, 08.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2006. "Black Market and Official Exchange Rates: Long-Run Equilibrium and Short-Run Dynamics," CESifo Working Paper Series 1851, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2005. "Black Market And Official Exchange Rates:Long-Run Equilibrium And Short-Run Dynamics," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 05-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Mario Gómez Aguirre & José Carlos A. Rodríguez Chávez, 2012. "Análisis de la paridad del poder de compra: evidencia empírica entre México y Estados Unidos," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 27(1), pages 169-207.
- Alper ASLAN, 2010. "The validity of PPP: evidence from Lagrange multiplier unit root tests for ASEAN countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1433-1443.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Emma García, . "Purchasing Power Parity Revisited," Working Papers 2003-20, FEDEA.
- Michael Morrison & Matías Fontenla, 2013. "Price convergence in an online virtual world," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1053-1064, June.
- Mario Cerrato & Hyunsok Kim & Ronald Macdonald, 2010. "Three-Regime Asymmetric STAR Modeling and Exchange Rate Reversion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(7), pages 1447-1467, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.