Credibility of monetary policy in four accession countries: a Markov regime-switching approach
AbstractThe aim of this study is to estimate the credibility of monetary policy in four accession countries (the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and the Slovak Republic), based on the Markov regime-switching (MRS) framework. We utilize the theoretical proposition that in the conduct of monetary policy, there is uncertainty in terms of the type of central bank. We measure this uncertainty as a deviation of monetary policy from a target level. We utilize for the target level the differential between the interest rates of the four individual accession countries and a 'synthetic' interest rate of 11 EMU member countries. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Other versions of this item:
- Philip Arestis & Kostas Mouratidis, 2003. "Credibility of Monetary Policy in Four Accession Countries: A Markov Regime-Switching Approach," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_371, Levy Economics Institute.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Backus & John Driffill, 1984.
"Inflation and Reputation,"
Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics
560, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Howitt, Peter & McAfee, R Preston, 1992.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 493-507, June.
- Howitt, P. & Mcfee, R.P., 1990. "Animal Spirits," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics 9005, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Garcia, Rene, 1998.
"Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(3), pages 763-88, August.
- René Garcia, 1995. "Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-07, CIRANO.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Masson, Paul R, 1998.
"Currency Crises, Sunspots and Markov-Switching Regimes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Masson, Paul, 2000. "Currency crises, sunspots and Markov-switching regimes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 327-350, April.
- Drazen, Allan & Masson, Paul R, 1994.
"Credibility of Policies versus Credibility of Policymakers,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 735-54, August.
- Allan Drazen & Paul R. Masson, 1993. "Credibility of Policies versus Credibility of Policymakers," NBER Working Papers 4448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Masson & Allan Drazen, 1994. "Credibility of Policies Versus Credibility of Policymakers," IMF Working Papers 94/49, International Monetary Fund.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & David I. Laibson, 1989. "Economic Implications of Extraordinary Movements in Stock Prices," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(2), pages 137-190.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Kalyvitis, Sarantis & Pittis, Nikitas, 1996. "Interest rate convergence, capital controls, risk premia and foreign exchange market efficiency in the EMS," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 693-714.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2002.
"Regime Switches in Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 163-82, April.
- Michael FrÃ¶mmel, 2010.
"Volatility Regimes in Central and Eastern European Countriesâ€™ Exchange Rates,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences,
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(1), pages 2-21, February.
- Frömmel, Michael, 2006. "Volatility Regimes in Central and Eastern European Countries' Exchange Rates," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-333, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- M. FrÃ¶mmel, 2007. "Volatility Regimes in Central and Eastern European Countriesâ€™ Exchange Rates," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration 07/487, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Dominique Torre & Alain Raybaut, 2004. "Unions monÃ©taires, caisses d'Ã©mission et dollarisation : les fondements analytiques des systÃ¨mes de change Â« ultra-fixes Â»," Revue d'Ã‰conomie FinanciÃ¨re, Programme National PersÃ©e, Programme National PersÃ©e, vol. 75(2), pages 37-54.
- Blagov, Boris & Funke , Michael, 2014. "The credibility of Hong Kong’s currency board system: Looking through the prism of MS-VAR models with time-varying transition probabilities," BOFIT Discussion Papers 15/2014, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.