Export Expansion And Imported Input Intensity In The Malaysian Manufacturing Sector
AbstractThe objective of this paper is twofold. First, it aims to evaluate the export performance of Malaysian manufacturing industries and the intensity of their imported input usage. Secondly, this paper aims to examine the validity of various claims that increasing demand for imported inputs in Malaysia has been mainly to cater for the export-oriented industries. This study found that more resource-based industries were export-oriented compared to the non-resource-based industries. It is also found that almost 70 percent of the manufacturing industries were highly imported input dependent, and that 93 percent of these industries were non-resource-based. Domestic-oriented industries were generally more highly dependent on imported inputs compared to the export-oriented industries. The analysis for the non-resource-based industries showed a positive relationship between export share and imported input content. The relationship, however, was negative for the resource-based industries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IIUM Journal of Economis and Management in its journal IIUM Journal of Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 7 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L70 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gairuzazmi Mat Ghani).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.