DSGE Model Restrictions for Structural VAR Identification
AbstractThe identification of reduced-form VAR models has been the subject of numerous debates in the literature. Different sets of identifying assumptions can lead to very different conclusions regarding the effects of shocks. This paper proposes a theoretically consistent identification strategy using restrictions implied by a DSGE model. Monte Carlo simulations suggest that both quantitative and qualitative restrictions work well together, where they act as complements to each other, in minimizing errors in finding the correct VAR identification. When using misspecified model restrictions, the data tend to push the identified VAR responses away from the misspecified model and closer to the true data-generating process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Journal of Central Banking in its journal International Journal of Central Banking.
Volume (Year): 8 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ijcb.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Liu, Philip & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2010. "DSGE model restrictions for structural VAR identification," Bank of England working papers 402, Bank of England.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez & Thomas Sargent, 2005.
"A, B, C’s, (and D’s) for understanding VARs,"
2005-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "A, B, C’s (And D’s) For Understanding VARS," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-018, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "A,B,C's (and D's)'s for Understanding VARS," Levine's Bibliography 172782000000000096, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "A, B, C's (and D)'s for Understanding VARs," NBER Technical Working Papers 0308, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent & Mark Watson, 2006. "A,B,C's (and D's)'s for Understanding VARS," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000646, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide & Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2004.
"On the fit and forecasting performance of New Keynesian models,"
2004-37, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Del Negro, Marco & Schorfheide, Frank & Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2005. "On the fit and forecasting performance of New-Keynesian models," Working Paper Series 0491, European Central Bank.
- Del Negro, Marco & Schorfheide, Frank & Smets, Frank & Wouters, Rafael, 2005. "On the Fit and Forecasting Performance of New Keynesian Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 4848, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2010.
"Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review,"
CAMA Working Papers
2010-22, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ren�e Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2011. "Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 938-60, December.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2010. "Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review," NCER Working Paper Series 57, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Domenico Giannone & Martha Banbura & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008.
"Bayesian VARs with large panels,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/13388, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bańbura, Marta & Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2008. "Large Bayesian VARs," Working Paper Series 0966, European Central Bank.
- Martha Banbura & Domenico Giannone & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008. "Large Bayesian VARs," Working Papers ECARES 2008_033, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Banbura, Marta & Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2007. "Bayesian VARs with Large Panels," CEPR Discussion Papers 6326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002.
"An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area,"
Working Paper Research
35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003. "An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Paustian Matthias, 2007. "Assessing Sign Restrictions," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-33, August.
- Gert Peersman & Roland Straub, 2009.
"Technology Shocks And Robust Sign Restrictions In A Euro Area Svar,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(3), pages 727-750, 08.
- G. Peersman & R. Straub, 2005. "Technology Shocks and Robust Sign Restrictions in a Euro Area SVAR," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/288, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Peersman, Gert & Straub, Roland, 2004. "Technology shocks and robust sign restrictions in a euro area SVAR," Working Paper Series 0373, European Central Bank.
- Alasdair Scott & George Kapetanios & Adrian Pagan, 2005.
"Making a match: combining theory and evidence in policy-oriented macroeconomic modelling,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
462, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kapetanios, G. & Pagan, A. & Scott, A., 2007. "Making a match: Combining theory and evidence in policy-oriented macroeconomic modeling," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 565-594, February.
- Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 1998.
"Conditional forecasts in dynamic multivariate models,"
98-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 1999. "Conditional Forecasts In Dynamic Multivariate Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 639-651, November.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2004.
"Priors from General Equilibrium Models for VARS,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 643-673, 05.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Poskitt, D.S., 1991. "Estimating Orthogonal Impulse Responses via Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 487-496, December.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Robert Vigfusson, 2006.
"Assessing structural VARs,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
866, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, December.
- Gehrke, Britta & Yao, Fang, 2013. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: The Role of Supply Shocks Revisited," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79821, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Tim Robinson, 2013. "Estimating and Identifying Empirical BVAR-DSGE Models for Small Open Economies," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2013-06, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2011. "An efficient minimum distance estimator for DSGE models," Bank of England working papers 439, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.