Pricing, Quality-Setting, and Order of Plays in an Online Information Market
AbstractThis paper considers the issue of quality differentiation in an online information market in which one network provider and two content providers compete over both prices and con-tent qualities for the real-time network delivery of digital information products. We examine the order of plays in games of vertical product differentiation and show that sequential price choice of network providers reduces content differentiation among online information prod-ucts, so that intense price competition among content providers results. However, sequential price competition reduces not only social welfare but also consumers' surplus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan in its journal International Journal of Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
sequential price competition; content differentiation; online information product;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521800952, December.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Boyer, Marcel & Moreaux, Michel, 1987.
"On Stackelberg Equilibria with Differentiated Products: The Critical Role of the Strategy Space,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 217-30, December.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, M., 1985. "On Stackelberg Equilibria with Differentiated Products: the Critical Role of the Strategy Space," Cahiers de recherche 8524, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Wauthy, Xavier, 1996.
"Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 345-53, September.
- Wauthy, X., 1994. "Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Economides, Nicholas, 1993. "Quantity leadership and social inefficiency," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 219-237, June.
- Aoki, Reiko & Prusa, Thomas J., 1997. "Sequential versus simultaneous choice with endogenous quality," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 103-121, February.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Engers, Maxim, 1992. "Stackelberg versus Cournot oligopoly equilibrium," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 127-135, March.
- Choi, Chong Ju & Shin, Hyun Song, 1992. "A Comment on a Model of Vertical Product Differentiation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 229-31, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jui-Fen Lin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.