Bank Performance during the Financial Crisis 2007-2010
AbstractThe recent global financial crisis has negatively affected the performance of most banking sectors around the world. A fundamental question is whether those banks located in more concentrated markets were more vulnerable during the crisis or were those that operated in inefficient markets. This paper analyses the impact of bank market structure and efficiency on the profitability and stability of 6540 banks in 49 emerging and advanced countries during the crisis period 2007-2010. We find that market concentration has a negative impact on bank profitability and stability while controlling other factors. Efficiency, on the other hand, improves both the profitability and stability of individual banks during the crisis. These results suggest that, when facing a negative shock, efficient banks perform better. The policy implication is that enhanced competition would contribute to the efficiency and consequently to the sustainability of the banking sector. This in turn suggests that macroprudential authorities should be wary of and vigilant with respect to the possible negative effects of the recent wave of regulations on bank competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan in its journal International Journal of Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
market structure; efficiency; bank performance; financial crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Repullo, Rafael, 2004.
"Capital requirements, market power, and risk-taking in banking,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 156-182, April.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2003. "Capital Requirements, Market Power and Risk-Taking in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 3721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Repullo, 2002. "Capital requirements, market power, and risk-taking in banking," Proceedings 809, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
- Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Rai, Anoop, 1996. "The structure-performance relationship for European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 745-771, May.
- Claeys, Sophie & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2008. "Determinants of bank interest margins in Central and Eastern Europe: A comparison with the West," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 197-216, June.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2005.
"Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?,"
NBER Working Papers
11499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2007. "Is there a diversification discount in financial conglomerates?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 331-367, August.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2005. "Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Paolo Coccorese & Alfonso Pellecchia, 2010. "Testing the ‘Quiet Life’ Hypothesis in the Italian Banking Industry," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 39(3), pages 173-202, November.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005.
"Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability,"
32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Uhde, André & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2009.
"Consolidation in banking and financial stability in Europe: empirical evidence,"
IWQW Discussion Paper Series
02/2009, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Uhde, André & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2009. "Consolidation in banking and financial stability in Europe: Empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1299-1311, July.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Berger, Allen N, 1995. "The Profit-Structure Relationship in Banking--Tests of Market-Power and Efficient-Structure Hypotheses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 404-31, May.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- Fiona Tregenna, 2009. "The fat years: the structure and profitability of the US banking sector in the pre-crisis period," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 609-632, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.