Status of Noise Pollution - A Case Study of Gulshan-E-Iqbal Town, Karach
AbstractThe main aim of this study is to investigate the noise level due to road traffic with reference to Gulshan-e-Iqbal town; Karachi. Introduction: Noise is a disturbance to the human environment that is escalating at such high rate that it will become a major threat to the quality of human lives. Literature review: Literature review revealed that in the past thirty years in all areas of the world of Pakistan and especially in the urban areas, pollution has been increasing rapidly. This increase is due to socio-economic status of urban population along with inadequacies of public transport has encouraged personalized means of transport in the mega city of Karachi. The craze for owning vehicles in the mega cities has led to considerable noise pollution especially in big cities of the country. Methods: To measure the intensity of pollution of Karachi two intersections the Gulshan-e-Iqbal crossing and NIPA crossing of Gulshan-e-Iqbal town were focal point of our study as these two intersection point of Rashid Minhas are road main links to other part of the city. For noise intensity dB meter at EPA distance, standard (for noise level) 75 m were used. conclusion: Noise intensity was measured between 3.0 pm to 5.0 pm by dB meters at EPA distance standard (for noise level) 75 m. Noise pollution up to 105 decibels has been registered in the Area of investigation as compare to the permissible limits of noise 70 decibels required to protect health and welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Business Administration in its journal Indus Journal of Management & Social Science (IJMSS).
Volume (Year): 5 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
More information through EDIRC
Noise pollution; Gulshan e Iqbal; Karachi; Environment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q52 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Pollution Control Costs; Distributional Effects; Employment Effects
- Q53 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Air Pollution; Water Pollution; Noise; Hazardous Waste; Solid Waste; Recycling
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Faraz Ahmed).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.