A new approach to measuring core inflation for Turkey: SATRIM
AbstractPolicymakers are interested in the general trend of inflation. Headline inflation is subject to different shocks and contains noise due to the heterogeneity inherit in it. Therefore, core inflation measures, which are better capable of indicating general trend, are developed. Atuk and Özmen (2009) introduced and discussed various core inflation measures for Turkey. Among various measures discussed, trimmed mean inflation –TRIM– performs relatively better. However, this measure fails to distinguish signal and noise when dealing with seasonal items. To overcome this drawback, this study introduces a new core inflation measure SATRIM–seasonally adjusted trimmed mean inflation. This methodology seasonally adjusts disaggregated price series and uses seasonally adjusted monthly figures in trimming process. Overall, SATRIM outperforms TRIM measure on the basis of trend tracking ability in different time spans. Moreover, SATRIM, which is dynamic in nature, is more careful when dealing with seasonal items, focusing on non-seasonal extreme changes.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bilgesel Yayincilik in its journal İktisat İşletme ve Finans.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): 285 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://iif.com.tr
Core inflation; trimmed mean; seasonality; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oguz Atuk & M. Utku Ozmen & Necati Tekatli, 2011. "Cekirdek Enflasyon Gostergelerinin Kullanimi Uzerine Bir Degerlendirme," CBT Research Notes in Economics 1101, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ali Bilge).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.