The Quality of Life and Regional Development in FYR Macedonia
AbstractThe paper focuses on regional disparities in the quality of life in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. It explores the relationship between the quality of life, social exclusion, and policies towards regional and local economic development. The paper is based on a household survey carried out in August 2008 which provides a detailed picture of the situation facing households across regions. Overall, the survey shows that there are large regional disparities in life satisfaction, indicating an important role for regional policy in improving the life experience of people living in the most deprived parts of the country. The paper concludes with a number of recommendations for improving the focus of regional policies to ensure a higher quality of life in the deprived regions of Macedonia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Institute of Economics, Zagreb in its journal Croatian Economic Survey.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
quality of life; happiness; regional disparities; FYR Macedonia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guriev, Sergei & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2009.
"(Un)Happiness in Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7258, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayo, Bernd & Seifert, Wolfgang, 2003.
"Subjective economic well-being in Eastern Europe,"
Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 329-348, June.
- Hayo, Bernd & Seifert, Wolfgang, 2002. "Subjective economic well-being in Eastern Europe," IBES Diskussionsbeiträge 120, University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration.
- Bernd Hayo & Wolfgang Seifert, 2002. "Subjective Economic Well-Being in Eastern Europe," Development and Comp Systems 0203001, EconWPA.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Banicevic).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.