The Price Of Silence: Markets For Noise Licenses And Airports
AbstractThis article presents a market design for the management of noise pollution created by aircraft traffic around airports. A local market for noise licenses allows noise generators to compensate noise victims and to meet social acceptability. We show that the market allows the market designer to implement the social planner's optimal allocation of flights as long as the latter does not put too high a weight in his/her objective function on firms' profits compared to the disutility of noise pollution. The fact that local representatives of noise victims may be strategic players does not fundamentally alter this finding. Because of the market auctioneer's information constraints, noise licenses are likely to distribute windfall gains to residents, which alters the urban structure in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 51 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- BRECHET, Thierry & PICARD, Pierre M., . "The price of silence: markets for noise licenses and airports," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2270, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thierry Brechet & Pierre M. Picard, 2008. "The Price of Silence: Markets for Noise Licenses and Airports," CREA Discussion Paper Series 08-08, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schipper, Youdi, 2004. "Environmental costs in European aviation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 141-154, April.
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford & Watson, Tara, 1999.
"Fundamental Flaws of Social Regulation: The Case of Airplane Noise,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 723-43, October.
- Morrison, Steven & Winston, Clifford, 1998. "Fundamental Flaws of Social Regulation: The Case of Airplane Noise," Working paper 335, Regulation2point0.
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 2006.
"A simple auction mechanism for the optimal allocation of the commons,"
0608, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 2008. "A Simple Auction Mechanism for the Optimal Allocation of the Commons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 496-518, March.
- Juan Pablo Montero, 2006. "A Simple Auction Mechanism for the Optimal Allocation of the Commons," Documentos de Trabajo 311, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- A. Ellerman, 2005. "A Note on Tradeable Permits," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(2), pages 123-131, 06.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Thierry Bréchet & Pierre M. Picard, 2010. "The Economics of Airport Noise: Managing Markets for Noise Licenses," CREA Discussion Paper Series 10-13, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- BRECHET, Thierry & PICARD, Pierre M., .
"The economics of airport noise: How to manage markets for noise licenses,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2427, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BRECHET, Thierry & PICARD, Pierre M., 2010. "The economics of airport noise: how to manage markets for noise licenses," CORE Discussion Papers 2010086, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.