Decomposing Lorenz and Concentration Curves
AbstractWe decompose the Lorenz curve (LC) and its associated concentration curve (CC) by population subgroups. To illustrate these decompositions, we examine changes in earnings inequality among West Germans, East Germans, and foreign guest workers during the recent German unification. We show that East German earnings have become less concentrated in the lower deciles of the overall German earnings distribution, whereas the earnings of West Germans and foreign guest workers have become more concentrated in the lower deciles. Copyright 2003 By The Economics Department Of The University Of Pennsylvania And Osaka University Institute Of Social And Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coral Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2010.
"Gender Segregation in the Spanish Labor Market: An Alternative Approach,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 98(2), pages 337-362, September.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2009. "Gender segregation in the Spanish labor market: An alternative approach," Working Papers 0904, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Olga Alonso-Villar & Coral del Río, 2005. "The geographical concentration of unemployment: A male-female comparison in Spain," Working Papers 08, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Olga Alonso Villar & Coral del Río, 2010. "Segregation of female and male workers in Spain: occupations and industries," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 194(3), pages 91-121, June.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2008. "Occupational and industrial segregation of female and male workers in Spain: An alternative approach," Working Papers 84, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2011. "Measuring concentration: Lorenz curves and their decompositions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 451-475, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.