Trade Imbalance and Domestic Market Competition Policy
AbstractThis study investigates the effect of a country's suppression of competition in its market for nontradables. It assumes that the initial equilibrium is stationary and demonstrates that if competition is suppressed in a small country, the country's trade surplus increases in the short run. In the large country case, the same change creates an excess demand for future tradables and affects the relative price between present and future tradables. Using a two-country model, the study shows that this price change redistributes real wealth from the country with a trade deficit to the country with a trade surplus.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 42 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atsumasa Kondo & Koji Kitaura, 2012. "International linkage of inflation rates in a dynamic general equilibrium," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 107(2), pages 141-155, October.
- Joseph A. Clougherty, 2004. "Antitrust Holdup Source, Cross-National Institutional Variation, and Corporate Political Strategy Implications for Domestic Mergers in a Global Context," CIG Working Papers SP II 2004-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Ma, Yan, 2009. "Trade theorems in a model of vertical production chain," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 70-80, January.
- Joseph A. Clougherty, 2003. "Industry Trade-Balance and Domestic Merger Policy: Some Empirical Evidence from the U.S," CIG Working Papers SP II 2003-19, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Joseph Clougherty & Anming Zhang, 2005.
"Export orientation and domestic merger policy: theory and some empirical evidence,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 778-806, August.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Anming Zhang, 2004. "Export Orientation and Domestic Merger Policy: Theory and Some Empirical Evidence," CIG Working Papers SP II 2004-10, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Yano, Makoto & Honryo, Takakazu, 2010. "Trade imbalances and harmonization of competition policies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 438-452, July.
- Rui Ota, 2006. "Adjustability in production and dynamic effects of domestic competition policy," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 431-439.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.