Word-of-Mouth Communication and Community Enforcement
AbstractWe study a repeated game where a seller, who has a short-term incentive to supply low quality, is periodically matched with a randomly selected buyer. Buyers observe only the outcomes of their neighbors' games and may receive signals from them. When the buyer population is large, the seller may sell high quality even when each buyer observes her action in any given period with an arbitrarily small probability. When networking among buyers is costly, low quality is always supplied with a positive probability. For this case, we characterize an equilibrium where the seller randomizes between high and low quality.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 42 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Felipe Balmaceda & Juan Escobar, 2013.
"Trust in Cohesive Communities,"
40, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Luca Anderlini & Dino Gerardi & Roger Lagunoff, 2007.
"Social Memory and Evidence from the Past,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1601, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Luca Anderlini & Dino Gerardi & Roger Lagunoff, 2007. "Social Memory and Evidence from the Past," Working Papers gueconwpa~07-07-01, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Luca Anderlini & Dino Gerardi & Roger Lagunoff, 2007. "Social Memory and Evidence from the Past," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000850, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Lippert, Steffen & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2011.
"Networks of relations and Word-of-Mouth Communication,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 202-217, May.
- Lippert, Steffen & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2005. "Networks of Relations and Social Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 5078, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Spagnolo, Giancarlo & Lippert, Steffen, 2004. "Networks of Relations," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 570, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 May 2005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.